Need a gun safe.

DaveT

I need help picking a gun safe. Here is what I need help with:
1. What is the best brand for the money?
2. Any suggestions on where to buy?
3. I don't want the digital lock I want the old mechanical dial.
4. I'll need a good fire rating.
5. A safe that is configed so I can easily get to any gun no matter the position.
6. Some storage space for stuff and hand guns.
I can decide on the amount of guns it can hold when I get it.
Tell me about the safes you all currently have.
Dave T

I recently bought a safe this spring from Tracker safes. After much research i found that for the money they where hard to beat. Browning and a few others where similar in quality and fire rating but almost twice the money. The safes at the box stores like tractor supply and wal-mart severly lacked quality and all had the digital lock that i had read many horror stories about. I ended up with a 24 gun safe, with a 70 minute fire rating shipped for just over $800. I would highly reccomend checking out trackersafes.com. they have many models in many configurations.

good luck
Will

I recently bought a safe… I ended up with a 24 gun safe… Will

No… repeat NO "safe" can contain the number of guns specified in "the literature" if "some" have scopes.

5. A safe that is configed so I can easily get to any gun no matter the position.
You will NEVER have "easy" access to your rifles, unless you fit a turntable (which further reduces capacity). OTOH, if your safe is 12 feet wide and 1 foot deep, then maybe.

DAMHIK

Somewhere on one of these forums.....Can't remember....
A firefighter from Dallas said he has never seen a safe/contents survive a house fire. I was surprised and emailed him. Again he said, guns do not survive most house fires.

Winchester is one of the leading gun safe in the market. There are number of models available for the gun safe. You can choose as per your requirement.Winchester is a great brand and gives you best deal for you.

No… repeat NO "safe" can contain the number of guns specified in "the literature" if "some" have scopes.

You will NEVER have "easy" access to your rifles, unless you fit a turntable (which further reduces capacity). OTOH, if your safe is 12 feet wide and 1 foot deep, then maybe.

DAMHIK

your right you cant ever fit all 24 in a 24 gun safe, exspecialy if they are bolt actions or have scopes. I realy can only get about 20 in my 24 gun safe, but most are constructed simalrly, so it gives you abase line to compare size. most companies list over all dimentions for better comparison. obvoulsy if a STACK-ON brand 24 gun safe is 6 inches narrower than a WINCHESER 24 gun safe something is up. your right about acess, but ive found i have 4-5 favorites that usualy live near the front of the safe, but i have to dig to get out an old favorite. No safe is perfect its just a matter if finding what works for you, in your budget. In a perfect world we would all have safes like a friend of mine who has a 10'x15' room formed into his basment with 8" concrete walls and ceiling, and and old bank vault door for acess.

I'm a big fan of the traditional dial locks. I sell safes at BPS and over the years the most calls coming in from disgruntled safe owners are those that purchased an e-lock safe and can't get in it. Regarding fire protection, there is no UL standard test protocol that all manufacturers use. So, the fire ratings inside each safe can only reasonably let you evaluate safes from that manufacturer, not someone else. One guy's 90 minute rating may be the same as another's 60 or 75 minute rating. Finally, how much security do you really need? Most consumer level safes sold in big-box stores are not going to keep a burgler at bay for too long before they gain access. If you really want them to spend an hour or two in attack mode then you do need to do some research on the internet on the UL ratings for security safes and then which manufacturers offer what you may need; they won't be cheap!

Last edited:
Anecdotal information only - Any firefighters that I have spoken to who have been around when they have opened up the gun safes after a major fire have indicated that none of the safes provided the guns much protection (in their experiences). The reality of the situation is dependent on where exactly the safe is in the structure and/or the overall quality of the safe. If the safe is in the basement of a wood framed house and all of the burning structure falls in and around the safe in the basement, the temperature and duration of the fire usually is great enough to exceed the safe's specs (of most consumer-level safes). If the safe location is such that little of the burning structural environment engulfs it for an extended period, then it might be able to provide adequate protection.

Back