Need 6 PPC loads for an AR15 (1 in 13 twist Hart barrel)

W

wsbranham

I have lots of good loads for 6 PPC for my bench rifles but I don't know where to start loading for an AR15 I built with a Hart barrel. I will be using Norma 6 PPC brass with no neck turning. I hope to use Bart's 68 gr bullets, my benchrest favorite, but I am open to options. I have a ton of H322, N-133, and 8208 XBR powders but, again, open to other options. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Mike,
I load the 6 PPC fairly hot. Are these hot loads safe in an AR15 or should I back off about 10% to start???

Thanks,

Bill

my 6ppc did not have a gas port and would stick at medium to high loads....
if you are shooting as a gas gun i would work up and see where you get.......ladder load

mike in co

I have not found most AR-15's to shoot particularly well with many of the touted Benchrest type hotter loadings - mild to moderate loads, yes. I would start milder and work up and stick with what shoots.
Robert Whitley

I have lots of good loads for 6 PPC for my bench rifles but I don't know where to start loading for an AR15 I built with a Hart barrel. I will be using Norma 6 PPC brass with no neck turning. I hope to use Bart's 68 gr bullets, my benchrest favorite, but I am open to options. I have a ton of H322, N-133, and 8208 XBR powders but, again, open to other options. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Bill

When I first read of what you were trying to do the word oxymoron jumped into my head.

Note: For those of you not readily familiar the word oxymoron, it means: a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, a seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”

Why would someone take what is considered by many to be one of the most accurate cartridges in the world and then limit its inherent accuracy potential by placing it in a metal box [a magazine]?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Last edited by a moderator:
do not limit ones horizons.....
there are more than a few very accurate guns out there built on ar15 and ar10 platforms.

When I first read of what you were trying to do the word oxymoron jumped into my head.

Note: For those of you not readily familiar the word oxymoron, it means: a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, a seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”

Why would someone take what is considered by many to be one of the most accurate cartridges in the world and then limit its inherent accuracy potential by placing it in a metal box [a magazine]?

What are you trying accomplish?

i am reluctent to get speciific. there are narrow minded loud mouth people on this forum who, in my opinion, "if they did not do it, it cannot be done".
my 223 shoots under .2 and is an ar15. 14 twist bbl, 52/53 at 3500/3600 fps. 36x scope...3" flat fore arm.
i just converted my 6ppc ar15 to a 6beggs.....still in work.
and an ar10 in 308 br.....
these were built as BENCHREST rifles.
others have built gas gun repeaters...that shoot very well. 6ppc is just one of a multitude of chamberings in these platforms.
robert w has done quite a few and published the results in PRECISION SHOOTING.
not everyone with a "black gun" is a spray and pray person......some of us enjoy precision shooting.
they make great varmit..small game guns

mike in co

Thanks for responses

Art, I can see why my original post might seem a little "oxymoronish". But Mike knows exactly what I am seeking. I am relatively new to the AR platform but they are fun to shoot and fun to build. I want to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of a great cartridge and a great barrel on an AR. I really enjoy my Borden, BAT, and Hall 6 PPCs and compete only against myself.....and the wind. I just don't know where to start with loading the 6 PPC for an AR. I know the AR is a strong action but I certainly don't want to push the safety limit. I think I might start with 26.5 gr of N-133 and see what happens. This is approximately 10% less than my benchgun loads. If anyone has a good load for this platform I would really like to know.

Thanks all,

Bill

Mike ...

my 223 shoots under .2 and is an ar15. 14 twist bbl, 52/53 at 3500/3600 fps. 36x scope...3" flat fore arm. i just converted my 6ppc ar15 to a 6beggs.....still in work. and an ar10 in 308 br.....these were built as BENCHREST rifles. others have built gas gun repeaters...that shoot very well. mike in co

Do you have any pictures?

Are these built as a single shot so you can seat your bullets into the lands if you choose to?

the pics are on this board somewhere..try a search. think of a basic stripped ar flat top with a luepold 36x, a round free float tube(fore arm) and a 3x7x0.5 flat on the bottom of the tube.
i need to build a low angle buttstock for better tracking.
yes at or into the lands.
the 223 has a gas sys, but is still single fed
the 308 has a gas port but no gas system, single fed
the 6beggs has no gas port and a left mounted manual bolt

i think i would do what i said to begin with...do a ladder...start lower, observe the gun for proper action.....when the cases start sticking...i think they will.....you have met the top...start lookng for a load below that.....
mike in co

AR-15 6mm PPC loads

Thanks Mike,
This sounds like a good plan. I think I will start with 26.0 gr. of N-133 and work up in 0.3 gr. increments.

Bill

i am reluctent to get speciific. there are narrow minded loud mouth people on this forum who, in my opinion, "if they did not do it, it cannot be done".
my 223 shoots under .2 and is an ar15. 14 twist bbl, 52/53 at 3500/3600 fps. 36x scope...3" flat fore arm.
i just converted my 6ppc ar15 to a 6beggs.....still in work.
and an ar10 in 308 br.....
these were built as BENCHREST rifles.
others have built gas gun repeaters...that shoot very well. 6ppc is just one of a multitude of chamberings in these platforms.
robert w has done quite a few and published the results in PRECISION SHOOTING.
not everyone with a "black gun" is a spray and pray person......some of us enjoy precision shooting.
they make great varmit..small game guns

mike in co

Hi Mike,

Where did you get your AR 15 3" flat fore arm?

Patrick

FWIW, most data for service rifles is quite a bit lower pressure wise than bolt guns, and Alexander Arms says not to load beyond
50,000psi. with their Grendel case. They're load data agrees with this. Most .223 service rifle data is in the 55,000psi range. The difference is bolt thrust is higher with the larger diameter case of the Grendel(same as PPC dia.)
Bolt lugs in an AR15 are the weak link with standard barrel extensions and bolt heads. They do fail.
Even at the max psi.(50,000) that AA uses for their rifles with a PPC bolt face, the bolt thrust is considerably higher than with the .223 generates with a higher max psi. of 55,000. To generate equal bolt thrust as the .223 does, the PPC case would need to be loaded to around 36,500psi.
With all of that said, several other factors still come into play with an AR15. Timing is an issue and can be fine with one powder and bad with another, also gas system length and port size factor in.
Bottom line...get load data from the mfg. of your rifle and work up to it slowly. Don't expect to run at nearly the same pressures as your custom actioned bolt guns.
--Mike

mike in colorado

coming to the ralltlesnake as I am coming from canada to see you compete against the bolt actions, I would just like to see your rig and perhaps shoot it,

I was one of the nay sayers but would like to be proven wrong, as i recall you did not want to go to a match

hopefully you want ot shoot a yardage at that shoot

later Jeff

can you attend the facility on thursday or friday just ot practice, I would like to see that thing shoot as I might build one as the canadian alberta tactical rifles is making uppers and lowers so a barrel and I am away just asking

Jeff

the lower is not the issue...the upper, specicially the bolt.
i use 7.62x39 bolts
as has beem mentioned pressure may be an issue.
it is my inderstanding that "someone" has a bolt stronger than the std 7.62x39 bolt....an off shoot of the 6.5 rounds in ar's.
lost of issues...and i now work most weekends, spent my las bit of money finishing the 300 win mag 1000yd BOLT gun...
so all else is on hold.
mike in co

Back