Neck turning

Worker

If a loaded round measures .275 and measures the same after firing doesn't that mean I have to turn the necks ?

If a loaded round measures .275 and measures the same after firing doesn't that mean I have to turn the necks?

You normally turn necks if the chamber is smaller than the Outside Diameter of the loaded round OR you want to clean up the outside of the case necks for uniformity. I'll also add, Full Length size each and every time you reload to bring the ENTIRE case back to it's original designed dimensions.

Since the OD of the loaded round and the fired case necks are the same I'd guess that a bullet wouldn't slide into the neck of a fired case which is generally not a good thing. If this is a custom chamber and you know who the gunsmith is check with him about what the neck diameter is supposed to be as well.

It does sound like some neck turning might be in your future though.

The necks on new brass will rebound to some extent so you may have marginal clearance and not need to turn. On the other hand, you don't have much leeway given the best of circumstances. The safest thing to do would be to determine the actual neck diameter of your chamber and go from there. Any clearance is enough but a bit more than a little will keep you safe when you change bullets and forget to measure.

Soot up a dummy round with a candle, chamber the round, pull it out, and look at it. If the soot is mostly rubbed off or "scathed" all around then yes, you need to reduce the neck diameter of loaded rounds.

I could have sworn that the normal procedure for firing a rifle of the custom sort was to 1. Find out the neck and headspace dimensions. 2. Turn neck diameter and size accordingly. 3. Have fun shooting. Not 1. Load, 2. Shoot 3. And then worrry. Wonder where I got all of that bad advice? :)

There might be a difference between virtually all factory rifle, many hybrid rifles & what most perceive a custom rifle to be - unless that custom rifle has a no turn chambering.

Back