Neck Turning..............

Does it do any good to turn the necks on cases if the chamber isn't reamed tight neck? Will it hurt anything to turn necks on a standard chambering, If so what?

Thanks in Advance,
JKM

generically , more uniformity of components would result in more uniform results down range. this would apply to necks. the results will be detirmine more by the rifle than anything else. for a production rifle consider truning the od of the neck for aprox 50% cutter contact. this is not the same as cutting for a tight neck br rifle. before cutting the od, consider reaming the id.

mike in co

Neck Turning...............

Rather than neck turning, culling your brass to ensure that case neck wall runout is .0015" or less is probably a better option. Picked up this tip from Sinclair and it seems to work pretty well. I use a Mitutoyo tubing mike and after truing the neck over a mandrel I measure at 90 degree intervals around the neck. I read an article in Precision Shooting claiming that neck wall consistency carried through the entire case, sparing you from the dreaded banana case. Most SAMMI chambers have generous neck clearance which is only made worse by neck turning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen to what Riflemeister said. Ten or fifteen years ago shooting in a factory class with a .223 I tried turning necks and found that all I got was very short case life due to neck splits - the more the necks have to expand, and the more they have to be reduced to hold a bullet again they get harder sooner and split. Solved the problem by finding some really good IMI .223 cases and used them. Sort your cases by neck thickness, size them the minimum amount to allow for easy chambering, and you'll get the best accuracy you can from the rifle and chamber.

shows ya everyone has there own opinion. notice i said to cut for a 50% contact....i did not say to remove 50% of the neck thickness....this aint gonna thin your necks much.

not sure why the gentleman had short brass/neck life....mine work just fine.

and yes there is alot more to uniformity than just necks....

but the question was about neck turning.....

I'm with mike in co on this one, just skim to uniform, after running over a mandrel to straighten necks, you'll notice the difference, well worth the time,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Does it do any good to turn the necks on cases if the chamber isn't reamed tight neck? Will it hurt anything to turn necks on a standard chambering, If so what?

Thanks in Advance,
JKM

I turn all my case necks to just get a 100% clean up. This gives uniform neck tension which gives better down range accuracy. I'm the type guy that wants it all, no matter how small the gain is.

Turning your necks for 100% clean up will not shorten the life of your brass.

Ultra -

If you neck turn bad brass, you still have bad brass.
If you turn necks for 100% clean up they may end up
to thin for a standard die to size the necks for proper
bullet hold/tension,requiring you to purchase a bushing
die. If you "neck down" from a larger caliber, say a .308
down to a 6.5 you may have enough neck to clean up.
I'm guessing you have the tools neccesary to measure
and turn necks uniformly??? If not, just sort by neck
concentricity and be happy!! Some brands of brass are
better to start with. [Lapua]
You didn't state what cartridge, there may be options.
Sort it all out!
Steve Moore

Thanks.........

Thanks for all the replies, I knew I would get the answer I needed here. I didn't mention a caliber because I've been turning the necks on all my brass across a wide range of calibers. Thay are all standard chamberings although a couple have after market barrels (Shilen/Douglas). I do have a neck turner but dont have anything to measure neck concentricity. What is a good one out there.

Ultra

Mitutoya ball anvil / tubeing mic. is good. You need one
with .0001" [one ten thousands"] resolution. You could
measure the neck while on a snug mandril of measured
diameter with an outside mic. There are some nice "neck
checkers" out there, but bring your wallet, some are expensive. Don Nielson [advertiser on this forum] makes
a top of the line quality tool.

Steve Moore

Neck Turning

Another point on measuring neck wall thickness is that most factory brass has a slight ( .001-.002") taper from the shoulder to the mouth. When using the tubing mic it is important that you be consistent on where you measure. If the neck is long enough, I try to align the edge of the spindle with the case mouth to get a consistent measurement.

Back