Neck Turner

tbird1960

Does anyone here have one of the new 21st century neck turning lathe's and if you do how do you like it [rate it]?

21st century neck lathe

I just looked at it and I have a suggestion. If you bought a chinese 6" bench top lathe, like a grizzly, and a good chuck to start with you could make all those differedt mandres, pilots etc. and then use the lathe to turn the necks. Incedently. a properly sharpened hi-speed steel tool bit will really do a better job than a carbide cutter. I have a lathe like this and got so into machining that I added 2 Southbend lathes, the classic SB 9" has parts and tools available everywhere. Technically I could thread, chamber ream, crown, taper and finish a barrel blank on my 48" long bed South Bend but I need some cheap barrells to practice on. I probably ought to sell my table top 6" lathe but, in my case, I have just about every accessoty so i'd be well above the entry levil $500.00 Its easy to learn how to "run a lathe" from the classic book of the same name by south bend, available anywhere.

I won one of John's neck turning lathes at a match and I am extremely impressed. I had a PMA neck turner previously and this setup is quite the upgrade. The entire system works in unison and is just fantastic. I could explain how well it works in a thousand words, but I found this video on youtube that does a much better job than I can.

6 out of 5 stars. One extra for supporting the shooting sports with match donations.

Back