Mystery?

oldlogger

Have a friend working up loads for the Ruger .204. Howa rifle, WW new brass, H335 powder, Hornady 32 gr V-Max seated to touch, don't know what primer.

We went out to chrony the workup loads yesterday, started at 26 gr. of H335, got a low of 3492 fps and a hi of 3726 fps. As we worked up in powder drop the spread continued to be wide until we got up to around 3850 fps. Is this normal? I have chronied lots of loads in different calibers and never saw spreads like that.

Input appreciated!

Seems normal to me, I don't see that as unusual given your description. You could mimic those results with a similar round like the 22-250 using light bullets and starting 'wayyy low.

Could be a lot of stuff but the big one is the thrown charges, coupled with erratic ignition and propagation due to low pressure. IN MY OPINION, If you carefully weigh each charge and if you operate in the pressure range that the combination is designed for you will cut that ES down to around 30-40fps...... after that you get into the 'lots of stuff.'

al

Probably just me, but I don't much care for ball powder. Try using a "stick" type powder and see if your results don't level out a bit better.

Donald

A 204R is capable of showing some huge extreme spreads. Also capable of shooting tight groups at close range while doing so.

Add to the fact your fireforming Win brass and seated to touch the lands in a factory tube. Never had a Howa 204 but I'd quess the freebore in a 204 is extensive like all factory rifles. Never heard a report of short freebore in a Howa 204. Not much pill in the case to reach the lands.

Tell your friend to forget the lands for now and let em jump. The 204 has rules of its own.:D

Back