My new stock, your thought?

Gentlemen,

This is my new, homemade stock.
It's for my own shooting purpose, not for sale, I just would like to get your thought here...

Please see the attachment pics.

The stock etc is still not finished yet, only to show you the shape/configuration.
The "dummy" action & barrel is only for scale/proportion.

The concept is a budget barrel change rifle, in 6ppc & 284win.
The action is a Stolle Panda RBRP-RE with ".308" bolt face. The PPC barrel is 21.5" long. The .284win barrel is approx 30" long. The 'main" rifle is the PPC, but I would also try the 1,000 yds and F-class in the next future. This gun is designed for LV class with the PPC, and LG class with the .284.
I hope this gun can/will shoot as expected!

The stock... As a man who loves experiment (and unfortunately poor, lol), I need to make the stock (etc) myself. I was thinking to make two different stocks before but I changed my mind. After some contemplating with the designs & inputs from some friends in this forum, I decided to make one stock only - "that suits all". (It sounds too ambitious, ain't it!? I would say YES too! lol.;D).

First thing is, the stock must be rigid/solid & long enough, but still make weight in "LV mode" 10.5 lbs. Secondly, it must be able to be used for prone/F-class shooting also (and comfort, still). Lastly, it must be a low rider & must have weight system.

From my past experience on my 'Swallowtail' stock, I know I need a more longer & stronger stock. I keep the butt at 3 inches wide, because I feel it gave me more stable setup and rides on the bag very well. What I need is a little improvement such as a more simpler shape & approach. (I don't want to spend too much time now!). But basically it will resemble my previous swallowtail stock, just more simple.

I have maximum 870 grams for the stock, in "LV mode" 10.5 lbs. (this assuming I use a Sightron 36x).
I have maximum 2,000 grams for the stock + weight/attachments, in "LG mode" 17 lbs. (with same scope).
The action is decided to be glued-in + two extra screws (rear & front).

I chose to use carbon fiber + epoxy resin for the outer shell and again light wood inside. It's a simple decision anyway, and I also find that working with carbon fiber is much more pleasant compared to itchy & stiff fiber glass. Personally I feel wood & carbon fiber (wrap around) combination will give rigidity advantage and it feels "solid" too. (no "ringing feel" when you knock the stock, so vibration dampening ability should be good).
However, being idiot and live in low-tech in Indonesia (lol), I did the work - perhaps just like what you guys in progressive countries did to make a stock several thousand years ago in "stone-age" era...(well, maybe, lol). I hand laid the carbon fiber and didn't use vacuum press, etc. I don't even know how to use a vacuum press nor do know how it work! This is the first time I work with carbon fiber. I still have some rough spots "here & there" and still far from satisfactory. (Next time I must be much better, anyway).
However, the stock & "the attachments" are straight & parallel (within 0.015" or so). I use a milling machine to make/shape the out lines.

The stock is approximately 35" long, already fine sanded & ready for some airbrush work. It's now about 840 grams and will weight approx. 860 grams or so, finished.
Yes it is rigid, feels "solid", balance "right" also. It will be pretty when finished, too.
The rear butt of the stock has a large convex for more comfort recoil. It allows my shoulder to square on it.
The stock has built-in female threads inside (in front & rear) to accept "the attachments".

The "front/foreend attachment" is made from wood + fiber. It's 10" long by 8" wide for extra lateral support. Weight approx. 350 grams. It's for the Flyshoot & the 1,000yds BR. I don't think it's usable/allowed for F-class.
The "rear/butt attachment" is made from alum 7000 series, weight approx. 800 grams. It gives weight on the rear, also to make a more straighter toe angle (to be approx. 3.5 degrees from horizontal line) for the Fly/1,000yds/F-class, and a larger surface to accept the recoil of the .284, in the same time. The stock is not designed to accept rubber recoil pad. It follows the shape of the rear stock (convex), with catamaran hull shape, and is secured to the bottom of the buttstock by three screws. I can add more weight inside the rear attachment (or make a another one from solid S/S block), say for HG class. But later on this.

The stock, without the fore end & butt attachment, must be fine for the LV/HV short range. (I have no doubt on this). The bottom of the fore arm & butt stock is flat, and the "toe angle" is just correct (will intersect the center line of bore at 17"-18" in front of the bolt face). The bottom of the buttstock is made flat (not catamaran) to prevent breaking the short range BR stock rules.
I'll probably add a weight on the bottom of the buttstock for HV class, say from 1/2" thick S/S plate, still maintain the allowed toe angle.
Yes it will need special rear bag, I've done it before this with good result.

With the foreend attachment, the stock will extend up to 39" long. It is slipped & interlocking into the foreend, and is secured by two screws from the bottom. (the screw holes on the bottom of the foreend wouldn't interfere with front bag in "LV/HV mode"). I intentionally make it symmetry (not offset) as it is already quite stable at 8" wide. The bore of the barrel will be about 1 7/8" from the bottom of the front wing. I guess/hope it would minimize the torque effect of the .284.

IMG_4712.JPGLV mode - right.JPGLV mode - left.JPGtop view.JPGbutt&foreend attachment.JPGLG mode 30inch barrel.JPG

Your thought???

Best,
seb.

More photo on the rear/butt...close up.

View attachment 11635

You can see the "joint" of the carbon fiber around the rear/butt, it's ugly. I didn't have much time to shape & cut it properly. Anyway it will be "dissapeared" with some airbrush work.

seb.

seb....good looking work....you are being very inovative with your desighns.....most of the "shooters" cant even mount their own scopes , recoil pads or tighten action screws !!!....and here you are out in the jungle doing this art work with a hammer and chizel....hahahah.....dont forget to try the forend offset trick for the HG events....Roger

Thanks Roger.
I'm just "gifted(?)", perhaps.

I forgot one thing...I now remember that I actually I have tried/shot one of my .308s with a 4 inches (or so) foreend attachment under the foreend. That was several years ago (just our local shooting), anyway it was no problem/no much torque etc- if my memory serves me right I won the trophy at that time. The rifle only weight about 5.5 kilograms (approx. 12 lbs), barrel twist is 1:10. I was shooting Lapua 186 gr milsurp ammo, btw.
For comparison (re: rifle torque): my .284 will weight total 17 lbs(-) in "LG mode" and it has 8 inches wide flat attachment (already extra wide to my opinion, it has 4" to the left counts from the center)...so even it will launch 168 gr bullet at 3,000 fps (just for instance) + barrel that has a little faster twist (1:9)... my guess is, it "could probably track okay" / don't torque much. I cannot predict it "it will track okay" because I still have very few experience with true BR rifles.
What I'm worrying is just the "LG mode", not the HG, or the "LV mode".

I might also forgot to tell you that the barreled action is smithed in Australia and to be used for registered shooting matches in Australia, especially for the next WBC12 in Sidney. A top gunsmith built it and a friend keeps it for me using his licence.

Best,
seb.

Last edited:
This gun is designed for LV class with the PPC. Your thought?

I know you said it was for personal use, but then you inserted "designed for LV class."

Will the stock meet the LV class minimum dimensional requirements in the NBRSA No. 36 Rule Book, located on page 68 [Light Varmint Diagram]?

Back home this evening!
Well, the stock/rifle combination works!:cool: It tracked quite nice & I'm happy with the result. I placed in Top 10 for the 2-guns at Harry Madden c/ship in Brisbane, just several days ago. I just glued the action two days before the match & tried some loads the day before the match. Also took the 2nd place in the 500m Flyshoot (LG class) using the 8" foreend attachment & the 3" rear attachment. That's the first time I shot a .284win...didn't even have time to develop the load, just using 51 gr ADI 2209 powder, Fed lg primer & 180 Berger Hybrid (that's what available at that time)...also, just a quick barrel break in just before/during the match! So, I love this cartridge!
Will post some pics of the rifle tomorrow,
seb.

Some pics...
(Sorry I just have it in the Light Gun mode. I forgot to take pics of the rifle in the LV & HV mode).

Brisbane2011030.jpg

Brisbane2011028.jpg

Brisbane2011029.jpg

Brisbane2011037.jpg

The rifle weighs approx. 7.12 kgs (15.66 lbs total) including the front & rear attachment.
The .284win recoil wasn't bad at all in this gun, it's more a "push" rather than a "kick", no lateral twist etc just a straight push rearward....I believe that I can shoot 200 rounds a day with it without a shoulder pain.

Maybe I'm just lucky(?), but for you guys that would like to build a barrel switch rifle in different calibers, trust me - it CAN work!!! (sure as long as the stock, fitting etc, is good).
Also trust me that the 3" wide buttstock is more stable on the bag! (it didn't even move the reticle when cycling the bolt).

Some requests received but sorry, I will not make stock for sale. Just to let you know here that a barrel change rifle (mine is 6ppc & .284win) CAN shoot! also that the wide buttstock (3") is more stable on the bag compared to 1/2' or so buttstock. That's all.

If you have any question feel free to ask,
seb.

Last edited:
Cris, there's an article about the "MAX" rest in 6mmbr.com....unfortunately I can't locate it at this moment.

Basically it's a one "do it all" rest if you shoot both point blank & long range. Can accept rifle weight up to 60 lbs or more if you wish. I plan to make a first batch of 50, next year / when I have time.

seb.

Hi Seb, I know the rifle attracted a lot of comments at the Madden and when I tried it for tracking in the bags I have to say it was as good as my Bat/Scoville. Since you are a rightie and I'm a leftie it would have been hard me to actually shoot the rifle.........one thing I have to say it is easier to shoot the fly when you can see your bullet holes, I could see your 7mm holes but the 6mm holes were invisible at 500m...........you had a good shoot with good results, hope to see you at the PRSC in New Zealand latter this year.........Ian

Hi mate, great to meet you again last week! Thanks again for helping me to sight in the scope for the fly!
Yep you're right the 7mm bullet holes were easier to see, also that Stuart loaned me the March. (personally I think my bullet/chambering choice for the fly was correct, recoil etc is also still manageable. I fall in love with this cartridge, he he). I have fixed the annoying bolt extractor problem after the shoot, btw.
Ian, your world class shooting was showing from what I could see...with a ppc for the fly, with that kind of condition & groups result that's a great shooting really!
Q: what is the PRSC? when?
seb.

Seb the PRSC is the Pacific Regional Championships, which will be held in Tokoroa next year, most likely the week after the Madden shoot.

Do you need me to arrange an invite for you??....Ian

That must be a great time Ian.

It's a centerfire match like the last time, correct?

Just in case I can ...(because I might probably come to the UK/Diggle for an F-class match next year also).... and we could bring my rifle & equipments to NZ (I'll talk with Stuart about this matter), please send the invitation.

Thanks mate,
seb.
sebastianlambang(at)yahoo.com

Seb
Why did you go with a flat "HammerHead" instead of adding rails to both outer edges like a Shehane Maxi-Tracker?
I tried flat and after a short amount of time my bag would pooch up in the center.
On my 1,000 yard heavygun I call mine a "WhaleTail" as it is 18 inches wide and rides on two Edgewood 2.25 inch front bags.
Lynn

Back