My initial findings with 10X powder ant 20 Tac

VaniB

I fired just one test shot of max 24.6 grains of 10x powder with a 39grain Sierra in my 20 Tactical to check velocity, and examine the case for signs of pressure.

As had been advised by another idividual on this websight, this load seems to be at max as the primer was somewhat flattened with slight cratering. The primer in a fired factory Hornady204 Ruger case looked more rounded in comparison. So, I think this 24.6 load is really at max for the 20tac. I did have the bullet up against the lands.

My initial observation of this 10x powder which is marked "NEW" on the canister is some really dirty stuff. It took a number of passes to clean out the heavy black soot from the bore.....and I eventually gave up and left it partially dirty with the cloth swags still coming out black. (I need to do the one-shot-one-cleaning routine for the next 20 shots in this new barrel anyway.) The 3,825 FPS chrograph reading was not so impressive either. I thought perhaps it would be closer to 3,900+ FPS out of my 1-11 27" pacnor.

I know the old 10x powder was said to be dirty. But have you guys found the new formulated powder to be dirty too? I bought this powder about 9 months ago. Now, I'm not sure if the "New" on this canister was like "new" as when the original powder first came out, (and I got stuck with an older can of the stuff).....or "new" as like with the new formulated powder. (which I thought I was buying)

VaniB;
They did clean up the "new and inproved" 10X but I found it to be almost 1gr. faster in a 6PPC. When trying to return the 20# of the early powder I was asked"What would we do with it???" End of story. There are powders that work as well and are not filthy. Filthy being defined as the brush after (5) record shots and (5-6) sighters looked as if it had been dipped in 90 weight gear lubs. It is a good burn rate for a PPC but simply much to dirty.

Mike Swartz

Last edited by a moderator:
You might consider using Ramshot XTerminator, as it seems to burn very clean. In my 20BR, I've tried H-322, 2015, and XTerminator. All are very accurate and give good velocity, but the Ramshot powder is the cleanest.

Back