Mounting a Front aperture sight behind an existing factory sight

tomon

I have a Winchester 54 sporter that I want to shoot Cast Bullet Benchrest with. The gun comes factory drilled for the rear sight, so that works, but I need to match it with a front sight without destroying the collector value by removing the original. The base would have to be two pieces. The bases out there are all drilled .750 or larger, with one split, so wouldn't work. Ideas, directions to go, info on manufacturers, etc welcomed. I do have various front sights in my possessions, or can go with another. Thanks in advance for your input!

John S .....You Misunderstand. I don't want to touch the original sight, but rather mount a SECOND higher front sight behind it. An aperture sight mounted on a barrel band or a ladder would be above the plane of the original. The rear Palma or International sight would be inline and make what I want to do happen. I could then shoot Cast Bullet Benchrest with it. If I take the original off, I lower the collector value!

The barrel is 0.615 inches. If I can't find a barrel band to fit, a bushing with a .750 OD, and a .615 ID could be split in half lengthwise and used as a shim to fit. The thickness of the shim would be .0675.

Last edited:
I would buy an oversized ring and have someone turn you a delrin split collar so's you don't damage your bluing.

al

Is the barrel tapered at that point? You can use bedding compound and bed a split ring to the barrel. Use scotch tape to wrap barrel leaving flags to create splitting points.

That close to the end of the barrel, the taper is next to nothing if at all. The tape I have actually seen before, but I don't remember where. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back