Most stable portable benchrest table?

R

rcmark

I am shooting in the desert(AZ) and want some kind of stable portable table for benchrest practice.
Can anyone recommend a stable portable table for benchrest practice.

Thanks,

I've built some very stable shooting platforms using 1/2 of a folding table leg set from Walmart and a hinged rear leg with seat attached and chain adjustment for ht/pitch.

Remember, 3 legs is better than 2 or 4

Check out BR Pivot. I've got several brand name swiveling platforms and the most stable of mine are BR Pivot. I also bought some Pivots with no top and made cool tops with nets and cupholders and umbereller swivels and reloading stuff......they've a fairly robust design.

I don't think you can buy a table suitable for Benchrest practice. You can build one that's close but hauling it around becomes another problem. I'll ask...what type of Benchrest shooting are you talking about here?

Mostly rimfire at 100 yards and .223 out to 300 yards.

I think this one is the best I have seen.
Weights like 80 lbs.

http://shootingbenches.com/shootingbench.html

(The reason I don't usually answer questions is because I NEVER GET A RESPONSE!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly rimfire at 100 yards and .223 out to 300 yards.

I think this one is the best I have seen.
Weights like 80 lbs.

http://shootingbenches.com/shootingbench.html

This is why with portable benches you SIT ON THEM.....you aren't going to get stable leaning on a table.

Another option we've used that worked well is a trailer with leveling jacks on all 4 corners.

Hitch-mounted ones on the other hand are useless unless you jack your truck up with them....

(Sorry but you did ask for the opinions of people who've actually used them...if you're convinced an 80lb table is "steady enough" then have at it)

This is why with portable benches you SIT ON THEM.....you aren't going to get stable leaning on a table.

Another option we've used that worked well is a trailer with leveling jacks on all 4 corners.

Hitch-mounted ones on the other hand are useless unless you jack your truck up with them....

(Sorry but you did ask for the opinions of people who've actually used them...if you're convinced an 80lb table is "steady enough" then have at it)

I have no idea what your talking about??

You can build a transportable bench that will work well.

1. Cut the t shaped top out of one piece of 3/4" plywood. You can get three pieces from one sheet of plywood by laying it out carefully. Screw the three pieces together to make a thick top.

2. Weld up legs out of at least 2" pipe and a 6" square piece of 1/4" steel. 2 3/8" drill pipe works better. Cut the legs at a slight angle so they angle outward a bit.

3. Drill each mounting plate for four 1/2" bolts and bolts the legs onto the top. Countersink the top so the bolt heads are flush.

Now comes the key part.

Attach a mounting bracket right in the middle underneath the top. Then make an augur or othyer kind of anchor you can drive securely into the ground. Place a rachet strap between the bracket under the benchtop and the anchor in the ground. Pull it down as tightly as you can without pulling the anchor out of the ground. Set your shooting rests on it, pull up a stool and go at it.

It won't be quite as steady as a good concrete bench but it will be real close.

Joe

Last edited:
I have a custom four and three leg bench, that has one adjustable leg. The rear leg sockets (3) are welded to a common 1/4" thick plate. The top is made from 2" nominal thickness Douglas fir, with cross pieces of the same material front, middle and rear. In three leg configuration it is easier to pivot to a different orientation, since three legs eliminate the need for leg adjustment, but there is a price to be paid in terms of stability. It is plenty good for varminting, but not as steady as when set up with four legs, and properly adjusted. The legs are of 1 1//2" (1.9" OD) schedule 40 black pipe, and I do not think that a larger diameter would give any advantage. set up on a slab at a local range, with the fourth leg properly adjusted, if you shoot squeezing the rear bag for for final adjustment, there is NO reticle movement on target as viewed with 42X. If you try to use the front rest as "knob twiddlers" do on permanent benches, the weight shift when moving from windage to elevation adjustments causes a slight floating of the aiming point on target, unless you are prepared to keep your non trigger arm off of the table, which is somewhat fatiguing over a long shooting session. Since I started shooting as a bag squeezer, and believe that I can get satisfactory results that way, this small deficiency is not a problem for me. The top of the bench is of somewhat unconventional shape because I learned from the experience of a friend that contact between the edge of a portable bench and ones chest is undesirable if you want to avoid the influences of breathing and heart beat on your sight picture. The only drawback of this bench is that with all four legs it weighs 107#. I use a separate stool.

have you ever looked at the top of a benchrest bench ??
3-4" of CEMENT. IT IS CALLED STABILITY.
do you really think a single 3/4" sheet of
plywood is even close ?

here is an alternative..
can you build a bench where you shoot ?
covered with brush when you are not a round ?
Do you own one?

Why?

Let's define portable.

With all that weight I could not assemble it!

The issue of portability has a couple of factors worth discussing. First of all, what sort of vehicle will you be hauling it with? Secondly, how close to to the place where the bench is to be used can you drive? I started out transporting my bench, disassembled, in the bed of my truck, a small Toyota PU with a shell. I would assemble and disassemble it every time that I used it. That was fine, if a little time consuming. I leaned the inverted top against the tailgate and either screwed the legs on or off. Finally the light came on and I realized that I could simply leave the legs on and slide it into the bed. (My truck's bed has a rubber mat.) The camper shell is tall enough for the legs to clear. (The bench is 34" tall.) Now, when I need to use it, I load it into the truck, drive to where I will be shooting, slide it out "walk" it into position balancing it on the front corners of the top, rocking it from side to side, advancing one corner and then another, controlling and balancing it using the legs as handles. The result is that I do not have to lift or carry it. When I have it where I want it I flip it over so that it rests on its legs, and then adjust the fourth leg so that the table does not rock. To load it, I reverse the process. My point is that the weight is not an issue because I have learned how to handle it by balancing the bench. I guess the time that I spent working for a moving company while I was in college was not wasted.

Years ago, I built a bench that was able to be transported in the same manner as my current one. The frame was not designed to be taken apart. It was made of 3" square steel tubing, the top was laminated, three layers of 3/4" ply(back then it actually measured 3/4") Since the steel was free (column drops) and there were some heavy nuts and food long pieces of allthread laying around, I made each of the legs adjustable over a wide range. Since the allthread was over an inch in diameter, the bench rested directly on its ends. Adjustment was done with a good sized Crescent wrench which was used to loosen and tighten large jam nuts. We moved is the same way as I do my current bench, flipping it into the truck bed, back out at the destination. I described it as semi portable. It was very rigid because the legs were welded to a frame of the same material rather than being individually attached to the top. I could load and unload it by myself.

I have no idea what your talking about??

Let's just say your table weighs 80lb.

And you lean on it.

And it moves.

Let's just say........

So, now that you've moved from "concept" to reality, you find that the reality is that an 80lb table MOVES when you lean on it and so you may start to examine the various ways to make it NOT move. (well, at least that's what I did...)

I tried to;

#1, add weight.

#2, tie it down.

#3, spread the footprint.

#4, drive the legs into the ground.

#5, tie it off, lash it to something really stout.

#6, drive rebar pegs and use sliding tubes and comealongs and winch straps and big rocks...

#7, well, here I started running out of cheap options. And found myself tooled all up with drivers and wedgers and pullers and rock bars and STILL hating to wrap up and make my site invisible at the end of the day. So I built one to sit on and my 80lb table gained some serious weight......

And that's what I'm talking about.

I get the picture now...you just want something where you can sit and shoot and don't care if it moves a bit.

Back