More trouble for the formerly golden state

KimZ

Hi All

Saw this and wanted to pass on shooters in California. The denizens of the North are trying to ban lead ammo AT SHOOTING RANGES in our Wonderful State (see below). Please consider contacting your state representatives before it is voted into law.

Kim :mad:

Friday, February 21, was the bill introduction deadline in the California legislature. We anticipate the legislature will make another aggressive push at our Second Amendment Rights and hunting heritage in the Golden State. At this time, the full picture of what we can expect from the introduced bills is not clear because of placeholder/spot bills that are common ahead of the deadline. Your NRA will continue to keep you updated as the bills evolve, however, gun owners should be aware of two incredibly dangerous bills that were introduced.

AB 3071, sponsored by Assembly Member Kevin Mullin (D-22), prohibits the use of ammunition that has not been certified as lead free at sport shooting ranges and indoor ranges. It also prohibits shooting ranges from selling or giving away ammunition that has not been certified as lead free and requires signage that lead ammunition is prohibited for use at the facilities.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB3071

I am afraid that this is going to happen in New York soon too. When I was living in down town Chicago, Lincoln Park Shooting Center got shut down manly based on the fact that all the shooting was over water and there was serious deposits of lead in Lake Michigan around the gun club. Same thing happened with the Remington Owned club, Lordship in Connecticut, shooting over the Long Island Sound.

We as a sport need to help eliminate the problem before this really becomes wide spread. Lead is not protected by the Second Amendment.

Recently a good friend and member of the same Gun Club I belong too was not feeling good and went to the doctors. Test showed that he had highly elevated level of lead in his system. After a number of other members were tested and found to have elevated lead levels at dangerous levels, the county required that we have the gun club check for both surface and airborne lead.

The results were interesting. The surfaces of just about everything in the main club house (we have an indoor pistol range in the basement under it) all showed no serious levels of lead. BUT when the undersides of each of those surfaces were tested (the cleaning people only clean the tops of the tables, work benches etc.) the levels were way above the level considered hazardous to humans. Air samples inside were also at dangerous levels, though outside on the rifle, pistol and shot gun ranges, the levels were elevated, but diluted enough outdoors to be considered safe, except in the back stops for each of the ranges, where high lead concentrations were even detected in outside air.

We have spend the last three days having lead removed from every range in the club and a new system of ventilation and a new schedule of clean up and testing is being set up for the future. Fortunately we are a private club with a pretty large surplus and this is being accomplished without any assessments to the membership. If we hadn't gotten proactive about this, I am sure the county would have taken more draconian steps.

Bob

If I remember correctly, the Lordship range tried to switch to steel shot a biodegradable birds and they still shut them down.

The Goodyear Hunting & Fishing Club had a nice trap range that got shutdown because of lead.
The range was about a mile from Goodyear’s airship operations in Suffield, OH.

Back