More Calfee XP Pistols

Cabin Mike

Team Calfee "Big Dog"
I have held a small Calfee XP Pistol Tournament for the last 4 years in January. It is on my unsanctioned range by invitation only due to insurance concerns. I call it the "Hoosier Rimfire Calfee Pistol Invitational". We always have a good time and it is a chance for some of us die hard pistol shooters to huddle up in one place.

With the new interest in the XP pistols I thought I would share a few of the photos with everyone.

01-12-08_XP_Pistols_Tournament_24_best_.JPG

Here is a picture of the pistols present

01-12-08_XP_Tournament_2_best_.JPG

The shooters present

01-12-08_XP_Tournament_Winners_2_best_.JPG

The top 3 finishers

Mike Sherrill

Sounds like you had fun , Mike. It looks as tough D.J. enjoyed himself. I'm sure that it wasn't boreing with Craig there. Good shooting.

Congratulations

Congratulations DJ on your great win with a 2316 Agg.

Congratulations Susannah on that great runner-up finish with a 2258 Agg.

Congratulations Cabin Mike on that great bronze finish with a 2208 Agg.

Congratulations Steve Turner on your great 4th place finish with a 2183 Agg.

Congratulations Ray Brown on your great 5th place finish with a 2158 Agg.

Also congratulations to all the other pistol shooters for your great shooting.

At one time I was not too bad of a pistol shooter, but you guys passed me up long ago....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

I hope Dennis Goodman felt good enough to be there, even if he didn't shoot. He's the missing piece of the Terrible Trio (as I heard it called but learned that there is nothing terrible about anyone of them). I can't tell by the picture if one of them is him or not but I'm sure if he wasn't there you folks thought about him. Suzanne is never a pushover. Heck she can outshoot Steve (sorry Steve) half the time. I did notice that Mark got his pistol out (that is awesome), he's liked that Turbo for so long that it amazes me. Regardless, I hope you all had a good time. That agg. was incredible. How many cards? Mike, if that is the cabin then I want one like it.

Carp

Smitty I believe it is the long Lost Rob the ugly green xp is his I will never forget it In my opion thats the best XP Bill ever built. Rob and Dave the previous owner has whupped up on a lot of good guns with it before. Jerry

More info

Carp---Dennis was there, he is the gray beard behind Donna & Susanne. He's added the beard since you last saw him..... Susanne is one tough gal to handle with her little pistol when she gets good ammo, she can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere, when she has it going.......You're right, it is hard to get Mark away from his Turbo, but if he ever decides to use the pistol, all of the time, he will be tough to handle. He has the potential to be one of the best pistol shooters ever........We shot 3 ARA cards for the tournament and then had a little money match on a smaller 12 bull card.......And yes I'm very fortunate, because that is the cabin.

Smitty----Yes, that was a Rob Propst sighting. He has that GREEN number 9 personal Calfee pistol. He can sure use it for a man that hasn't shot for over a year. He didn't miss a bull on the money cards, all 10's.

On a personal note, I think the shooters present were but a small sample of some of the finest people on this earth called Benchrest Shooters.....I have never met better people than the ones in our little benchrest game, whichever organization (RBA, IR 50/50, ARG, ARA, etc), They all want to help everyone else if needed, promote the game in a positive manner, and just be good friends. I've been lucky enough to travel to different ranges and have always been welcomed with open arms, met more good friends, and experience the characteristics of each range that makes them special. We are fortunate to have all of this for us to enjoy and my thanks goes out to all of the match directors for all of the hard work they put in to make this happen......Man I love this game!!!!

Mike Sherrill

Thank You & Congrats...

I know I'm speaking for Ray & myself when I say, first of all, a big "THANK YOU" to Mike & Mary Sherrill and Mark & Jane Meadows for a "heapin' helpin' of Southern Indiana hospitality! Everything was thought of from sleeping accommodations to "killer food" as Bill Calfee would call it. I said I had to eat seconds, being his share, because unfortunately he couldn't make it, but then I found out I didn't eat near his share...they said for a tall, skinny guy, he could really pack away the food at one of these shoots!

Even though we missed seeing him, it was great seeing everyone who could make it! We were glad to see Dennis, Rob & Mike Mullins there, D.J., Danny & Craig, (Pepper 1079, I'm getting ready to send out video copies to those 3, most of it being Craig & Mike Mullins in action), and of course always great to see Steve & Susanne, Mike & Mary, Mark & Jane.

You learn something everywhere you go...this trip I learned about drying beans (like long green beans or whatever). That chef guy, Mark, cooked up some dried beans, potatoes, etc. that have a totally different texture and flavor than you would associate with beans...delicious...and the cabbage & sausage, Jane's meatballs & brownies, Mary's chili, Mark's apple crisp and all the other goodies on the side...m-mm-m-m-m-m! I'm going to have to send for a couple of those recipes, or try to wing it!

CONGRATULATIONS to D.J., Susanne, & Mike on their 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place wins,AWESOME SHOOTING!!!:):) It didn't take D.J. long to figure out that pistol!

Also CONGRATS to Steve & Ray on their fine 2100+aggs! Awesome shooting by all of you!!!:)

Susanne, you're tough to beat and currently hold the title of "#1 Woman Calfee XP Pistol Shooter"! Thanks for your advice on the bullet speed...I have a brick left of the red box 1005-04287's and 2 boxes of 04285's, so that's a start. I'll be trying to catch up with you!:)

We're glad to have finally made it to Mike's "Calfee XP Pistol Tournament". We had a great time and hope to be "regulars" at this big event. Thanks Mike & Mary for all the time and effort you put into this...Mary, the T-shirts are awesome with the copy of Mike's Personal #12 added!

Great Friends, Great Fun, Many Thanks!!!

Donna

Cabin Mike,
I agree that the group of benchrest shooters are THE most friendly in the world. I am most encouraged that Dennis Goodman, who is one of the Terrible Trio, is up and about. When you don't see someone for a year, you begin to wonder about their well-being. That stuff is more important than anything you know. You sure have a fine place at your cabin. A 50 yard range to boot. Wow, the things one could do.....You folks have always been very kind to me when I visit southern Indiana and I appreciate that. I am also tickled that Mike Mullins showed up. That is another shooter that wasn't heard from for a year. Man he put a show at Borden at the last match of 2006. Maybe the most forbidding I've ever seen. But, not to take away from that, it was the first 3 card ARA match I'd ever attended. Every shot counts so importantly that it could contend 4 places in the finish. I agree that Mark has the "stuff" to just simply be the most talented shooter of them all, only to Suzanne and Steve (Steve being the incredible spoiler from his wide range of experience). I'm glad you all had a great time, ate great food and shot incredible scores. Hope the best for all of you in 2008 in all things.

Carp

Back