Mixing different lots of powder......

VaniB

Ooops......I had about 5 brass cases worth, or about 250 grains worth of Varget powder left over at the bottom of the can, and threw it into another 1lb varget canister that was 3/4 full. I mistakenly thought they were the same lot. I have always tried to follow the golden rule that you should not do this. However since the dirty deed is already done, I'm wondering if it will work well enough for when I try to develop a new load....or should I revert this powder just for sight-in chores or bore fouling duties? (....short of throwing it out.)

I have never tested the real world results of doing this, and how it on actually translates on paper. (?) Will the granules from the two different lots be redistributed unevenly in the powder and cause shot-to-shot POI inconsistancies on paper? If it's just a matter of resighting my gun, and then the groups will stay just as tight as they always have, then it's not a problem to me.

Thanks gents for the reassurance. With price and availability issues of powders these days, I really do prefer to be able to continue to use it for any new loads I might want to develop in the future......and be able to consider it really no different then the next can of Varget powder.

Do the math to see that no rifle nor load combination on the planet could find the difference...... even if you weighed to the kernel of powder, the difference would be within a single kernel.

fug'GEDDABOU'DIT!

al

Van if your that worried about it Chronograph a couple and see if its where the velocity is normally, thats all I do when changing Lot#!

Joe Salt

Van if your that worried about it Chronograph a couple and see if its where the velocity is normally, thats all I do when changing Lot#!

Joe Salt

Naaaa.....sometimes the effort involved in setting up loads for a test is no faster or easier then just going to the range and shooting them as I would any other new group of handloads, and seeing how they do. The general consensus here is not to worry.......and being I'm not going to use them for competition.....that general consensus is good enough.

Van I use mine for 1ooo yard comp. So I've been burnt before changing lot# so if its so so, or good enough with you OK! You wouldn't believe how much a difference it makes at that range.

Joe Salt

Naaaa.....sometimes the effort involved in setting up loads for a test is no faster or easier then just going to the range and shooting them as I would any other new group of handloads, and seeing how they do. The general consensus here is not to worry.......and being I'm not going to use them for competition.....that general consensus is good enough.

"Naaaa" that attitude works short range, the paper will tell ya the difference in powder lots if any but at 1000 yards you best have all your "t's" crossed and "i's" dotted. Changing lot#s with powder could make a big difference in velocity hence the target.

He's not actually changing lots guys..... he's just throwing 5 charges worth into 3/4 pounds. Or am I missing something? 250gr into over 5000 grains you really think he'll be able to find a difference at 20:1? With VARGET?

4831LC @ 1000yds.....sure but VARGET?

Mixing different lot #

"Naaaa" that attitude works short range, the paper will tell ya the difference in powder lots if any but at 1000 yards you best have all your "t's" crossed and "i's" dotted. Changing lot#s with powder could make a big difference in velocity hence the target.

Vinney
What is it that you know about short range? I don't recall ever seeing your name in the winners circle or at all as far as that goes. snide remarks are uncalled for on this site.
Ron

Why is everything seem to be a snide remark, are you seeing something that isn't there. All Vinny is saying don't try it at 1000 you might not like it. At 100 or 200 or say Hunting NO! But like Al said mixing 20-1 your safe. We all don't know what each others disciplines that we shoot so were just putting in or 2 cents. Sorry to have Offended anyone!

Joe Salt

I'm thinking...

...that somebody thought somebody else was being "snide". I don't know how to help that situation but would hope that everybody can see what happened.

AND...then......there's the times when somebody is actually being snide......

Wilbur I'm one of the Nicest Guys you'd ever want to meet! I am always in a good mood, always look at peoples best side. I even talk to people I don't like just to try and understand what makes them tick. And I even apologies if someone proves me wrong. So I feel that unless there are a bunch of $%#&@# in a word the person is not saying you are a #@%^&*$ ! Just figure there making a statement. This is not like talking on the Phone with someone, so you really can't hear their tone. Just my 2 cents again.

Joe Salt

Back