Mid barrel tuners Vs Barrel Tuners

bored184

Im new rim fire tuners so I have some questions for you guys/gals. Ive been told I need to read Mr. Calfee's articles in precision shooting but I dont know where to get back copies from? My next question is do you use a mid barrel tuner as well as a tuner thats clamps over the muzzel, or do you use just one? My last question and probably most controversial on this site is do you actually need a tuner?

My amature thoughts on the last question:
I think I understand barrel harmonices, as I see it, different ammo and different velocities will produce different vibrations in the barrel, I guess this is why some people say that you set the tuner to the ammo. And to produce accuracy you want consistancy, meaning you want the barrel to vibrate the same after each shot or not vibrate at all. Now I get lost in the fact that does a tuner stop the vibrations or does it make the vibrations consistant? I personally dont think you cant stop the vibrations in the barrel. But I can see finding a spot on your barrel that will allow to vibrate consitant for each shot, BUT only for what ever amminution and velocity your rifle likes.

Please read and critique.

"where to get back copies from?"
www.precisionshooting.com or 860-645-8776

"do you use a mid barrel tuner as well as a tuner thats clamps over the muzzel, or do you use just one?"
I personally use both. If you go to any major match probably 95% of the competitors will use muzzle tuners, and about 50% will use mid-barrel tuners. These numbers are my own guesstimates. I do not know of anyone actually keeping up with the percentages. Some even use 2 mid-barrel tuners. You just need to get them and try them for yourself.

"do you actually need a tuner?"
Yes. The muzzle tuner without a doubt helps when it is properly tuned. I believe the mid-barrel tuners also help, but there are some that would disagree with that.

"Now I get lost in the fact that does a tuner stop the vibrations or does it make the vibrations consistant? "
Calfee claims that when tuned properly the barrel actually stops. There is a good thread going on the centerfire forum about this.

Hope this helps,

The idea is that the muzzle is supposed to be stilled by the tuner, not the barrel. I expect that is what Dan meant to write. IIRC, Kathy writes that the barrel vibrates like a sine wave. The tuner is supposed to place the muzzle at a "node" in the sine wave, probably at the very top or very bottom. I know a engineer who strapped about $18,000 worth of electronic to a rifle to test that theory and did not find sine wave behavior, but they do work whatever the causal explanation is.

Last edited:
ONCE AGAIN Im no expert, but the way I read it is that the tuner adjust the axis of the vibrations to be at the very end of the bbl. causing the exit point to be in the same spot or not actually moving as it would if say this point were 2in. behind the muzzle causing the muzzle to move up & down .

THe Davis Mid Barrel Tuner

Gene Davis the Smith,makes a nice MBT. Funny how these "things" work.
Some prone shooters are beging to use "tuners". In fact several Dewar & Randell team members are.
gdavis10@columbus.rr.com

Thanks for the help so far. Do you guys also mind posting a pic or two of your rifles with mid barrel tuners on them or just the tuner so I can get an idea what they look like? Are they just a weight attached to the barrel that you slide up and down until you find a sweet spot, or is there more to it?

Here's one I got from Dan Killough, just took the picture at the range tonight as it happens, didn't have the weights fitted at the time.

AnschutzBR50.jpg

This is my two tuner rig I use in smallbore prone. The mid barrel is a Davis. The muzzel tuner is a Hoen re-worked by Malcolm Drennon. The bloop tube is threaded and has a front sight base for iron sight shooting

Perry20072.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How long are those barrels? Is there a barrel length that works better with tuners, also if there is does that mean if you have a short barrel do you still need a tuner?

Back