mid barrel tuner

N

nipper

i have on loan to me a mid barrel tuner that has only one set of allan bolts in the center, quite a bit shorter than the one i have seen here with 4 bolts. my questions is, with it having a rubber type insert/gasget on each side, how could this prevent any more vibration,just dosent seems logical to me at the moment,until i shoot it tommorrow, any thoughts??

bill

Last edited by a moderator:
It will change the tune slightly (make the barrel think it's longer) but it is designed to be placed at the 90* point of the standing wave (highest amplitude) and dampen the existing vibration (inertial mass resisting movement). With the amplitude of the vibration attenuated, if you are off tune just a little, it minimizes the effect.

Must be sompthing to it? It helped win the ARA nationals & the final Psl match. If you decide to buy one let me know. 913-963-1557

Is this it

http://www.henrich3.com/smallbore_vib_cont.htm

If so, I guess that's the original mid-barrel tuner.

The claim about the rubber soaking up vibration makes no sense to me either unless there is a counter effect there, but there has to be a weight effect that would help the main tuner or make it possibly easier to tune..

I've used all three kinds, the last on my XP, and so far, the best one I've seen is the long on that James Pappas makes.

i had forgot years ago we used "sorbathane" feet to put under turntables to help with room vibration and they worked well, anyway proof will be on paper after this afternoon.

I would think "sorbothane" would isolate it from an outside vibration, but seems to me all you would do in this case is prevent the tuner from vibrating.

Last edited:
Gene Davis

Gene makes a tuner also. Works pretty good also
Gene Davis-An Ohio BR RF Smith.
gdavis10@columbus.rr.com

Work that wins matches and sets records,what more could you want.
:)

well the mid barrel tuner did make a dramatic change --ie--smaller group size when installed mid-way on my rifle barrel, headed to a greek festival,will post pictures when i get back later on.

bill

here is the proof on paper, shows .036 rim thickness with and without mid barrel tuner, 50 meters was the range to target

bill

000_0814.jpg

here is another on paper , this was .037 rim thickness , shot at 50 meters, wind was tough, but proof is on paper , for mid barrel tuner results, 5 shot groups also.

bill

000_0813.jpg

so its pretty obvious i will be shooting .036 rim thickness during a tournament and the rest for practice

bill

nipper did you try two are only one? and did you tune it with tuner on or off I done both ways They work as you already know

i only used 1 but i fell like when i recieve the first one , i might order a second one, and it was all with "main" tuner installed

bill

Back