Magnetic Rest

AZUARO

I saw a new (new to me) front rest that has some kind of a Magnetic setup...You hear a "Click" and it locks in...Upon shooting it disengages and slides very smoothly.
It is an interesting concept...Are these things legal? and if they are, does anyone have some miles on one of those?

Regards,

azuaro

Last edited:
No replies....That's no good!...Maybe I was short in the details:

The Top has a very smooth "Back and Forth" movement added to the normal swing...When you push the gun forward to the stop after shooting, the top moves slightly forward and you feel a click...The guy told me it was magnetic
but it may very well be a spring loaded little bearing or a combination of both or?

It takes the recoil - back movement of a RF to disengage the system...If you do it with your hand you feel a very precise & smooth movement like if it had bearings and upon pushing it forward you feel the "click" and it locks very solidly...

The rest resembled a Randolph but it was not a Randolph...

No replies....That's no good!...Maybe I was short in the details:

The Top has a very smooth "Back and Forth" movement added to the normal swing...When you push the gun forward to the stop after shooting, the top moves slightly forward and you feel a click...The guy told me it was magnetic
but it may very well be a spring loaded little bearing or a combination of both or?

It takes the recoil - back movement of a RF to disengage the system...If you do it with your hand you feel a very precise & smooth movement like if it had bearings and upon pushing it forward you feel the "click" and it locks very solidly...

The rest resembled a Randolph but it was not a Randolph...

AZUARO,

At a large indoor match a year or more ago, a gentleman had a "gorgeous custom one piece rest" with a series of rollers, front and rear, which permitted his heavy custom rifle to free recoil like it was gliding on air. It happened to be a practice day, so during a friendly discussion I asked if I could handle his rifle to see how nice it would glide on the roller system, he agreed. The rifle was in battery at the time and when I began pulling backward gently, I felt a firm resistance at first, then the heavy rifle snap free and rolled rearward smooth as glass. Being an inquisitive guy, I asked if the rest had a magnetic brake built into the system. His answer was no, it was a mechanical resistance of his own design. He would not elaborate any further on the design and I respected his right to privacy. John

I'm aware of several people, including myself, who have employed the use of varying sizes of super magnets in attempts to achieve consistency for the initial recoil impulse as it overcomes static friction. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Hey John, was the match you speak of at the Indoor Nationals where you were handling "all" the rifles, and if it was, did you mess with my mine and cause the poor results I had on my last target? I'm looking for someone to blame other than myself! LOL

Landy

I'm aware of several people, including myself, who have employed the use of varying sizes of super magnets in attempts to achieve consistency for the initial recoil impulse as it overcomes static friction. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Hey John, was the match you speak of at the Indoor Nationals where you were handling "all" the rifles, and if it was, did you mess with my mine and cause the poor results I had on my last target? I'm looking for someone to blame other than myself! LOL

Landy

Landy,

I did get the opportunity to "tug" on a few other rifles that day. But, unfortunately you weren't present. LOL

Are you going to make it to the RR Barn in early March for the big shindig?

What's the purpose of a magnetic restraint? How does it help?

This is just speculation on my side Wilbur, but I would assume that if the Magnetic Brake/Bearing System was timed right and set to eliminate the natural friction at the top bags upon the gun recoiling, then when firing free recoil the consistency would increase; in theory this gain would be transferred to accuracy...I see it like timing and transferring some of the not so consistent recoil energy/vibrations to a more precise sliding mechanism.

I thought that maybe the big boys playing in the big leagues who have pretty much tested anything and everything would have some insights for sharing...We already heard from one of them so we know that these systems are by no means new technology... This guy shooting next to us seemed to have a self/custom made setup.

This man was not very communicative buy was kind enough in letting me "Hand Feel" how the system moved back and forth, but that is as far as it went...It called my attention seeing him shoot free recoil and upon firing, the gun not moving backwards from the forearm stop at all...He would push the mechanism forward until the "click" point and only use the Windage knob for the next target...No minor adjustments for elevation whatsoever until the next row.
He was shooting what I think was a 10.5 lb. gun, and if I am right, then it is obvious that the system is sensible enough and could be tuned for heavier guns.

The rear bag was of course heavily powdered/slippery (very little friction)...This was a 2 piece rest, I would say that the system works the same on one piece sets.

Best regards,

azuaro

Last edited:
Each to his own, but I don't believe that's worth the time and money it would cost. It may very well be worth doing but I'm looking at some pretty good scores that were shot with regular ol' rests. If you do this, please keep us posted!

"I don't believe that's worth the time and money it would cost"...

I couldn't agree more with that statement and that is why I wanted to find out if there were some positive experiences out there that would encourage pursuing a proven and successful technology...As it seems to be we may be better off spending the time and resources in going back to home base and finding the best available ammo...I deeply miss the days when Federal UM2 shot amazingly well in all of my stable....Just ONE type and ONE quality of ammo: THE BEST!

Last edited:
Each to his own, but I don't believe that's worth the time and money it would cost. It may very well be worth doing but I'm looking at some pretty good scores that were shot with regular ol' rests. If you do this, please keep us posted!

Wilbur,
I shoot with a regular old Pappas rest. LOL. They are very nice rests, nothing regular about them. But a shooter I know that uses a magnetic front rifle stop shot 7 perfect 2500 ARA targets in competition in the 2014-15 Indoor season. Now, how much did those scores have to do with the magnetic front rifle stop? Who knows? I figure it does tell us that it doesn't hurt accuracy, when proper materials are properly installed, we break it down to the simple. I imagine this shooter is the guy that Center22 is talking about.

John M. Carper

I reckon it doesn't hurt anything at all. Those 2500s ain't all that easy to shoot! Thanks John!!

Back