Lyman borescope

jaberegg

Anyone seen or ordered the new Lyman bore scope? Any thoughts? I just ordered one from Opicsplant, should be here in three months. Thanks.

Jeff Aberegg

I have a Hawkeye but at the price of the Lyman it would be tempting to have as a spare. Hope someone can give a field report

the product was suppose to be available the "first part of 2015"
it is now 6 months later and no use by anyone around here.

optics planet has said three months for 6 months in a row

I ordered one back in July for grins. I am not expecting much at the price point but it was cheap enough to gamble. We'll see how far past the "Estimated to ship within 6-8 weeks" it goes.

Crown Cradle

I know this thread is about borescopes and the following is relevant as it pertains to the health/condition of the muzzle/crown of your precision rifle barrel. I never really understood why you would use a bore guide on the chamber end but not on the muzzle crown end. A jag and rod will drag and strike the muzzle crown area hundreds if not thousands of times cleaning during the life of a barrel. I created a simple bore guide for the muzzle crown end and it works really well. We have numerous sizes. There are some good videos on the site too which demonstrate the issue and how the Crown Cradle works. Hope this helps and maybe is seen as a solution or least as extra insurance/precaution for the precision marksman.

http://crowncradle.bigcartel.com

Attachments

• DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 331
I know this thread is about borescopes and the following is relevant as it pertains to the health/condition of the muzzle/crown of your precision rifle barrel. I never really understood why you would use a bore guide on the chamber end but not on the muzzle crown end. A jag and rod will drag and strike the muzzle crown area hundreds if not thousands of times cleaning during the life of a barrel. I created a simple bore guide for the muzzle crown end and it works really well. We have numerous sizes. There are some good videos on the site too which demonstrate the issue and how the Crown Cradle works. Hope this helps and maybe is seen as a solution or least as extra insurance/precaution for the precision marksman.

I'm not really how this crown cradle works. About every barrel I've ever done the OD is not concentric with the ID. That being the case, this gadget would hold the brush or jag off center would it not?

Guys who can afford it buy a new barrel every year. Other guys re crown. $25.00 USD.
A good barrel for local competition might be good for 2 yrs(2K-3K rnds.).
Want to win the Super Shoot? buy 20-30 barrels. Chamber them yourself and test.....

Guys who can afford it buy a new barrel every year. Other guys re crown. $25.00 USD.
A good barrel for local competition might be good for 2 yrs(2K-3K rnds.).
Want to win the Super Shoot? buy 20-30 barrels. Chamber them yourself and test.....

Not for everyone like anything else but apparently there are a good number who appreciate the benefits. By the way if your bore is off center it will hold there and the inserts will still guide the bore rod center bore keeping it from dragging on the rifling once the jag exits. Most good barrels are center within a few thou anyway.

has anyone received one yet ??
optics planet is saying about 2 week delivery?

I have one and find it perfect for my use. I am not a gunsmith, but do shoot a lot and it really helps me to assure my guns are clean and see if there are problems in the chamber, bore. or crown. Rather than looking through the end of the bore scope, you have a 4" screen to look with. One excellent feature is the ability to take pictures and them transfer them to your PC or lap top.

Here ARE sample pictures of the barrel of a gun I bought new that would not shoot or clean. With this picture, there was no discussion needed when I returned the gun.

I ordered one back in July for grins. I am not expecting much at the price point but it was cheap enough to gamble. We'll see how far past the "Estimated to ship within 6-8 weeks" it goes.

I received mine today but have not had a chance to try it out yet. I can say it came packaged nice enough and comes with a thumb drive and sd card. Will post up later with results.

My dad has a Hawkeye but I may get the Lyman for my place. Like others I don't think I'll be too disappointed at that price. Of course it all hinges on them becoming more widely available.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Back