Low down on Varmint grenade bullets

Worker

Have the opportunity to hunt out side of Fresno Ca. Where the lead ban is enforced. I'm shooting a 6x284 with 10" twist. The only varmint grenade bullet is a 62 gr , Its as long as a 85 gr standard bullet. So where should I start in my hand loads? Should I seat the bullet into the lands like I do with all my other bullets? Fast burning powders?

I tried 'em in a 6PPC with a 1:14 twist and they wouldn't stabilize. In fact they hit about eight feet away from the aim point in a group measured in feet!

Suggest you seat off the lands to start, maybe .010" to .015", because the .224" VG's I have been working with didn't do well seated just shy of the lands. Then adjust depth once you find a load.

So far powder choice seems to be in the medium range. Benchmark, Varget, H 4895, TAC, ect. Why not try a favorite load for a similar weight lead core bullet? You can also give Barnes a call, they are very helpful and know the properties of that tin-copper core.

Go on the DF&G site, because some species don't require lead-free bullets, even inside the zone. Ground squirrels do require them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because

some these bullets are longer than the lead ones, a faster twist barrel is needed, such a a 9 twist!

no bull, longer bullets need a faster twist.

Try the lightest bullet for the caliber you are shooting, such as in .22 cal use the 30+ grainers not the 50+ grainers

Last edited:
some these bullets are longer than the lead ones, a faster twist barrel is needed, such a a 9 twist!

no bull, longer bullets need a faster twist.

Try the lightest bullet for the caliber you are shooting, such as in .22 cal use the 30+ grainers not the 50+ grainers

Absolutely, I am waiting for a barrel change on my .22-250 for just that reason. The .224" 36 grain shoot well in my .223 Remington with a 1:12 twist, but I want to use the 50 grain bullet in the .22-250 and the 1:14 twist isn't sufficient.

After checking the length of the 6mm Barnes VG with the Sierra 70 grain HPBT Match, the difference in length didn't seem to be enough to cause the complete accuracy failure of the Barnes.

I have a suspicion that I might have wrecked the Barnes 6mm 62 grain Varmint Grenades by moly coating them in a vibratory tumbler. After checking how frangible jacketed bullets are made, with wax or lithium stearate coated atomized metal powder cores, I sectioned one and found the core very soft, easily rubbed apart metal powder - just like the name implied! Maybe three hours in the tumbler destroyed the integrity of the powdered cores, allowing them to loosen inside the jacket. So, I'll pick up another box and try them again. If they shoot, then I'll know it was my fault - again! :eek:

Thumbs down for moly

That crap isn't all its cracked up to be. Its the hot expanding gases of the primer,powder combo the burn up barrels. that moly gets caked on the BBL along with normal stuff.

That crap isn't all its cracked up to be. Its the hot expanding gases of the primer,powder combo the burn up barrels. that moly gets caked on the BBL along with normal stuff.

Obviously you don't own a bore scope.

Al

Varmint Grenades in 6mm BR

I tried 'em in a 6PPC with a 1:14 twist and they wouldn't stabilize. In fact they hit about eight feet away from the aim point in a group measured in feet!

I tried them in a 1:14 twist 6mmBR and couldn't even hit paper at 100 yds. I ended up giving them away.
Chino69

My 22-250 loves the 36 grainers, they cross my chony around 4300 f.p.s. and the yotes never take a step after being shot with one. Smaller vermon just kind of disappear:D

Bore scope cost the price of a New Barrel.

Obviously you don't own a bore scope.

Al

Hey are the Bench rest shooter shooting moly coated bullets? It was a fad. A rough factory BBL will grind the stuff of the Bullet as it travels down the BBL.Now am I going to have to write a letter to my congressmen concerning this matter?

The rifle I'm shooting is a rem.700vs LH, I would think the twist is 1-14" since it's a factory barrel.

Rem 700 twist

Rem 700 Twist in 22-250 is 14"..............Wouldn't you out of the goodness of your hearts want to ask me what my twist rate is? I feel so alone.:eek:

To Worker.

Some times I think your a bit twisted, maybe this is the wrong forum but be careful or the cops will come and take your computer.;)

I don't blame you for a nanosecond.

Twisted what else could it be? We love our Hobie's when I'm on this forum or out hunting or at the loading bench ,I'm off work. I'm a foremen on an Iron worker job site,,the days stresses and dilemmas are but memories.So I guess being nonsensicalscal is a stress reducer or something.I'm just having fun with words. I really can't joke around at work..... Barns 6mm 62gr VG shot very well out of my Hart BBL with its 10" twist.

Last edited:
If ya go to the Sako site they still say that moly coated bullets have a desirable effect on throat wear. Now the new thing is boron nitride coating as used by David Tubb.

Some times I think the best coating is something barley related poured from an icy mug down one's throat - and forget all the hoopla about bullets. :)

My twist rate is related to how fast the bar stool can be spun without me falling off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back