Lot Testing

H

Hawkeye 56

Well this is my first post on Benchrest Central, As of last July I"am new to IR 50/50 and ARA and boy am I hooked. My question on lot testing is involving the tuner. I have a Anschutz 2013 BR 50 with a Harrel tuner on it set for Ely Edge which I will stop using as it has too many fliers. I will be testing RWS 50 so should I leave the tuner on or should I remove it and then reinstall and fine tune? I believe that I read some where that once a barrel is tuned all ammo of the same quality should tune in very close, Am I right or wrong on this?
Too add more confusion I purchased this last fall a Anschutz 64 S BR 50 for my 10.5 rifle, I have a tuner for it now but not installed what do you suggest on lot testing this with or with out the tuner out of the gate. I will be doing this testing in April as it is too Cold in Iowa now.

Thanks Hawkeye 56

Common sense suggests we test ammo just like you would shoot it in competition. How else will you know how it performs in your rifle? That said there is a school that says find the ammo that works best without the tuner on the barrel. Both ways work. You have to believe in how you do it or you will always wonder "could it be better".
If you believe your primary rifle is in tune, then I'd go with it as is and hunt for the best lot you can find. If you don't have confidence in the rifle then lot testing is only going to waste time and money until you build that confidence. Your other rifle, same rules apply but it appears you don't have it "in tune" yet so its kind of a toss up. Me, I'd tune it as best I can then start lot testing.

Couple other points; don't expect both rifles to like the same lot. If you get lucky and they do consider it a gift. And don't forget conditions when testing. Wind flags are mandatory if you are testing outdoors and knowing what they tell you will help a lot. bob

Back