Looking for stock work near Houston

B

benenglish

I'm in Spring, Texas, just north of Houston. I have a semi-inletted walnut stock that needs final inletting. I'll handle exterior shaping and finishing but I need someone far more skilled than I am to do the final fit of wood to metal.

Is there anyone within driving distance of me (say, 3 hours in any direction) who does this sort of work and does it well?

TIA for any help,

Ben

PS - I'd prefer a turn-around time measured in weeks instead of years since I'd like to use the gun in October. However, if that's too short a time frame it's no problem. I have another gun I can use and quality is more important to me than a fast turn-around.

I have this personal quirk about working with gunsmiths. I want to meet them and discuss what I need with the gun sitting between us. Talking on the phone or via email has given me some bad experiences. On the phone, people hear what they want to hear. In an email, if I go to enough length to cover every detail, whoever is reading it too-often seems to experience "MEGO" - "my eyes glaze over" - and they simply miss things that are clearly stated in writing.

An in-person talk, looking someone in the eye during the conversation, and a handshake to seal the deal seems to get things done without error.

At least, that's my experience. I ship a gun to a smith only under special circumstances; I nearly always want to meet in person.

Jackie Schmidt is in Houston. I am not recommending him as a smith but I am sure he would know if any good ones are around that area. You might try to contact him and see what he can offer.

I'm with Chism on Billy and you don't need to look him the eye, he knows what he doing.

The unanimity of opinion is impressive. I'll call Mr. Russell this week. Thanks to all.

Back