Longer Distance Question

Jayhawker

I have used Berger bullets exclusively with very good results in my bone stock Savage .308, 10/1 twist. Out to 300 meters, I can consistently get less than a M.O.A. and on a good day, less than a half M.O.A. using 150s and 135s with Varget powder and Federal Match primers. My effort to make a purse out of a sow's ear.
Now I want to move on to 500 meters which is the limit of our range. Yesterday, I made-up and fired at 100 meters, a variety of Berger 175s and 168s with the Varget and some Rx 15. I got my usual less-than-one MOA with those weights, but at 100 meters, I can easily shoot into the twos and threes (and yesterday, a .192) with five-shot groups at 100 meters with the 135s and 150s. Would this be an indicator that I should stay with the 150s and 135s for out to 500 meters? Or are they too impractical to put up with our constant breeze and wind? In other words, are the heavier bullets going to be relatively better in the wind or can the 150s and 135's hold their own out to that distance? What has been your experience?
Thank you

Go with what has already shot well at 300yds for 500yds. It isn't that much further.

I have shot the 155gr Amax to 1450yds effectively so there is nothing wrong with this bullet weight.

Just crank up the scope and go have some fun.

Jerry

take your pick

A couple of factors:

1) some bullets have a better MOA average after 300 yds than at 100
2) the wind becomes a greater factor at the extended distances

So, some general guidelines would be:

1) I'm more familiar with 6.5mm bullets and the 142 Sierras group tighter at 300+ than they do at 100 in MOA terms (when the wind is not a factor). For 30 cal bullets I'd expect there are some bullets that are similar although I've never experienced it (i.e. maybe 190 Bergers...)
2) light for caliber bullets are not likely a good choice as you move the targets further back due to the affect wind will have on them

Back