Long Range 6mmPPC

Ackley Improved

Hello

Who here has played with the 6mmPPC with a fast twist barrel? I have searched through the forum, and found one thread which went into it, but thought starting a new one would be a better option due to some of the content of the other.

I have heard of some limiting testing with the 105's, can be pushed to 3000fps and vertical issues. It disappears around the 2900fps.

What length barrels have been tried? has anyone tried H4895 with it?

Just want to be different, and have one rifle switch barrel for long range and short range BR!

Anyone who has played with it that has some good info please post. Worst case scenario is I rechamber it for Dasher and turn down the rim.

CHeers

Cheechako has done it at Sacramento but I don't think he posts here anymore.Did you post on 6mmbr.com as he is there alot?
When the wind quit blowing he shot two of the smallest groups at the Nationals.On the windier relays his group sizes went up enough to keep him from winning.I thought he was using very light Bergers at around 80-85 grains but maybe he will post and give up his details.
Lynn aka Waterboy

I have tried a 22 PPC fast twist barrel for 600yd. BR but not a 6 PPC but if you are looking for something different and are wanting to use a PPC bolt you may want to consider a 6/6.5 Grendel. It is basically an "improved" 6 PPC and I know H4895 was a good powder for mine. Lapua offers 6.5 Grendel brass and Alexander Arms offers Grendel brass made by Lapua. 6 BR velocities with a 105 VLD are possible with the 6/6.5 Grendel. Just a thought.

Rodney

A straight 6 PPC is going to have about 5 grains less powder capacity compared to a 6 BR. I did work with the PPC and BR in 6.5mm. The Grendel case gives you about 3 grains of capacity over a straight PPC as I remember.

I can shoot 108's at 3000 fps in the 6.5 PPCX which is a tight neck grendel with the throat optimized for the purpose. The loads are only suited for bolt guns which are not pressure limited by the AR15 and the loads exceed the oal length allowed in the AR15. I also have 114 vld's in 6.5mm that perform about 50 fps slower. There are also people necking the Grendel case up to 30 caliber and using 112 grain FB bullets with it and coming very close to the 30 BR in velocity.

Back