Long neck 22-250

W

Waylan Kisor

I have a custom 22-250 that is washed out. I think the barrel(Shilen) is ok and plan to have it set back. I am thinking of making a long, 244 neck. Cases to be formed from 243 brass. My reason for this is barrel life. I have read numerous articles that affirm longer and tighter necks extend barrel life and thought I would try this approach. Has anyone tried it. I want to keep the same case capacity, as I have a 220 Swift so I have no need to go AI. I am not opposed to neck turning. I shoot 22 and 6 PPC's which require neck turning and I kinda enjoy it. My experience with long necks(to me the beer tastes better) is with 222, 22PPC and 6PPC. The 222 is standard and I have shot the same cases numerous times with with very few if any lost. With the PPC's, same result.

Have you considered a .22 BR? It has a bit less capacity than the .22-250, but with bullets up to 52-53 gr it produces the same velocities as the .22-250, and seems to give longer case and barrel life in my experience.

I don't think its worthwhile

I've formed similar length cases from .243 and you don't want to do it unless there is no other way. I'd go with 6XC or 6.5x47 Lapua brass if you really want to go to the trouble of a wildcat. The 6XC shoulder area is very formable - I've made some 6HLS with it and you can squeeze it down just fine. But still I'm not sure this is worth the trouble and especially the cost of a reamer. That barrel is likely good for only one more chamber anyway so I'd go back with a .22-250 again.

The .22 BR = better accuracy, better barrel life, the same velocity with lighter bullets, almost the same velocity with heavier bullets, did I mention better accuracy, better barrel life...:D

Have you considered a .22 BR? It has a bit less capacity than the .22-250, but with bullets up to 52-53 gr it produces the same velocities as the .22-250, and seems to give longer case and barrel life in my experience.

You're absolutely right. A 22Br is right there with the 22-250. But you wouldn't believe how vehemently one particular self-styled expert on another board will disagree.... The whole thing was dumb enough to be funny.

22 or 6br

Have been thinking of these rounds for some time. How difficult is it for them to function reliably in a repeater?

Farmboy

Before you go to a wildcat read this carefully. This has been tested and compared to others and only gains about 100 fps over the Swift. Both of these are veeeeeerrrrrry fast ( up to 5,278 fps ). Note that the 35 grain V-Max bullets are very accurate at hyper speeds. Very interesting reading.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/22-243.html :D

gt40

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry..

would you suggest a tight neck or use standard. I think Jackie Schmidt shoots standard in bench guns?? My 6PPC has a .262 neck and I turn to almost exact fit- .0086. The 22BR was one of my considerations but I was not sure the velocities would be comparable. I do not plan to load hot. As stated I have a Swift if I want to "go fast", or 22/6mm if I want to use afterburners. From posts so far that 22 BR seems to be the answer. Thanks all.

Hello,
I thought I would pass along my experiences with a similar build. Several years ago, prior to the official release of the 6xc, I did just want you are thinking about, a long necked cartridge, similar in length to the 250, for increased efficiency and less barrel wear I planned on using quality 308 or 243 brass to form the cases. I made mine 6mm's instead of 22's and all were improved...
Skip forward, I have made brass for them from 22-250, 243 and 308. I currently have 3 barrels chambered this way. As of last week, I moved to the recycle lot all the 308 lupua brass and win 243 brass I had formed for these rifles. I now use 22-250 brass and don't mess with the headache of resize 3 times to form, then the rough outside neck turn, then fine outside neck turn.
My next plan is to set back and re-chamber all 3 barrels to either a 6-250 improved or to 6x47, just so I don't have to mess with the brass issue. Another issue to consider is the reamer, and having dies made for the new neck length.
In my case, I used a 6mm Rem AI reamer and held it short, then shortened a 6mm AI size die to match.
These are just something to think about. Wildcatting is great fun, just can be lots more work than it needs to be. I would look at a 22-6xc wildcat or a 22-6.5x47 lapua as mentioned earlier for the ease and quality of available brass. Both of these would have long necks and very similar capacity to the 250.
Just my thoughts, good luck and enjoy your new project and the excitement in its development.
Eric Miller

Thanks..

for your replys. I carried the gun to the smith. I am going with a 22BR tight neck.

long-neck 22-250

Waylon -

You should write Bob Greenleaf " vet382@msn.com "

Bob is a former Savage Arms engineer, and has done a bunch of wildcats; inlcluding things like the long-neck .22-250.

I shot my wildcat .22-35Rem for over 25 yr. It has a comparatively short
neck. I shot this wildcat in both 1-14 and 1-8 twist. The latter, is used 75gr LVDs in.

I myself don't see the screaming need for a long neck. The 75s shot superbly w/ the right neck-size bushing.

As for throat errosion, my 22-35 in 1-14" wnet past 3,200rounds before it ever key holed a bullet.

Best of luck in your endeavors,,

Regards,
.357Mag

Is a long neck necessary with this .22 round? ;) :rolleyes:

gt40

Attachments

• 22qt-1.jpg
    22qt-1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 248
.357 Mag. I

in fact talked to Bob after I saw his article in Dec. 07 PS. That was the fuel that ignited the fire. Bob has been working with the folks(sorry Mr. Calfee) at Hornady and they should have dies available for his round which will coined the 22BG. My reason for going with the 22BR is the availability of quality brass, reamers and ease of case formation.

Back