Leupold Vari X7 Scope - Thoughts?

R

Rich K

Keep reading good reviews and spec in shooting magazines on the Leup Vari X7 but has any one actually got one or used one? Are they worth the money, how do they comapre against NF?

Has anybody used the VX7 though? I here the IOR is good but heavier than a NF and thats saying something!

You can say what you want about the Swarvo, Zeiss, and Leupy, but the VX-7 is worlds ahead of the VX-III. Comparing the VX-III, Zeiss Diavari, and Swarvo side by side to the VX-7 at Cabelas (not the best environment but...) the VX-7 was as good as either of the Euros, if not better. It tended to have a brighter picture with more contrast and would focus quite nicely from right in front of my face all the way across the store. I'd buy it over the Swarvo or Zeiss myself if I could afford it if not because of quality and price, but the great Leupy customer service.

Cheers Tyler. I believe with this Leup if it needs to go in for repair, they lend you a scope? Its like a platinum service for buying top end?

They do offer a loaner or replacement scope in case of an issue. I don't remember the exact details, but I think they over-night it to you.

The VX-7 is the real deal. Its not a VX-III....its much much better. I'd love to have one and was going to buy one for my .280AI project until another custom rifle project was offered to me. I think I'm going to stick either a VX-III or a Zeiss conquest on the .280 AI when I finally finish it.

I didn't like the 'pop-up' feature.......

on the side paralax focus on the 3.5-14 VX-7. It had a wobble feel to it when in the up adjustment position. I called Leupold Customer Service and asked them if the unit I handled was defective. I very carefully and explicitly explained the loose movement of the knob in the up position. They told me it was NOT defective and that the 'wobble' was normal.

That was a deal-breaker for me. I really wanted that particular model. What's interesting is that there was no wobble or looseness in the windage and elevation knobs, only the side focus. I did like the glass and found it to be far superior to the VX-111's I compared it to. It also felt very rugged (except for the focus knob). The 2.5-10 and 1.5-6 models do not have the side focus and would be very nice IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back