Leupold or Sightron, which to buy?

E

enfieldwill

I'm a newbie to the forum and am looking for a new scope for use in F-Class. I have narrowed my choices down to between the fixed power Leupold Competition Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 45x 45mm and the variable power Sightron SIII Long Range Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 10-50x 60mm Side Focus, both with target dot reticles. I know the advantage of a variable over a fixed power by able to reduce power for better clarity and to reduce mirage, but the Leupold still calls. So I thought that I would seek some advice from guys who shoot and know a thing or 2 about optics.
Thanks in advance.

The zoom has a big advantage - you can wind-down the power to see your competitors' targets. Essential for picking up on hard to detect wind changes. Never fire a shot without checking the targets either side.

I was hoping to hear from some shooters who own a Sightron scope. How good are they, compared to others. I never had one and only have some Leupold, Nikon, BSA, Mueller & Tasco. I'm assuming their optics are on par with Leupold.

I have the 10x50 Sightron and am pleased as punch with it. Only issue is that it's pretty heavy - about 30 ounces - so if you have to make weight, it might not be the best choice. Otherwise, it is bright, accurate, repeatable. I've compared it against NF 15-55, Marches, Leupolds, at the local club match and it is as bright or brighter than all the others.

Dennis

For long range i would choose the Sightron from your list. Being able to crank it back for conditions will help. I had the 8-32 S-III LRMOA on a 13lb 300RUM tac type gun and the scope held up well. I found the side focus knob to be a bit tight.....But that is knit picking.

I was hoping to hear from some shooters who own a Sightron scope. How good are they, compared to others. I never had one and only have some Leupold, Nikon, BSA, Mueller & Tasco. I'm assuming their optics are on par with Leupold.

I have the Sightron 8-32 for F CLass. If you're shooting FTR, the 18lb weight limit can be a problem so you need a scope weighing about 25 ounces. The 10-60 March is very popular, so is the 8-32 Sightron and the new Nightforce competition. Have a look at the new Vortex 15-60 Golden Eagle - excellent value and perfect for F CLass - weighs 29oz.

Vince (UK)

F Class Glass

I personally own several 10-50 Sightrons, 8 x 32 Sightrons, 5.5 X 22 Night Forces, 12 x 42 Night Forces, 15 x 55 Night Forces along with a List of others.

First I would say forget the straight power scope. The Mirage will kill you with a higher power scope. On hot humid days you may be shooting at 600 -1000 yards around 20 to 24 power because your target fuzzes out at any higher power. On those cloudy cool calm day you may max out your scope.

Clarity, Tracking, Durability, and Cost are the factors you are facing with the choices you mentioned in earlier post.

Night Force is Tougher and a little heavier. Sightron is lighter and slightly less expensive. Optically Not much difference. Night Force has more options.

Leupold, Vortex, and Others are not in the same league as Night Force and Sightron.

There are scopes better than Night Force and Sightron but they are more expensive.

Nat Lambeth

Check warranties from each before purchase. You might be surprised.

I have two Leupold 45x45. No problem, except it is a PITA to acquire the target when setting up.

Back