Leupold BR-36X vs Weaver T-36

bigh

If you could buy either scope for the same price (300.00) which would you choose and why? the Leupold BR-36X has the locking AO and was made in 1991, The Weaver T-36 is used but not very old at all,both in good nearly equal condition. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Luepold-Weaver

I've owned both 36X's. I thought the Leupold had some problems with POI and it went back to Leupold twice. The 2 Weavers I have seem better in that regard. I haven't used Weaver's warranty so I can't comment on that, Leupold's warranty is outstanding in my opinion. I wonder why the price is equal, usually the Leupolds are close to $200 more than the Weavers. You might want to think about that!

Value

Both are great scopes, but for the Value, choose the Leo. I had the same experience. and got a $500 scope almost half price. Had enough left to buy a couple bricks of Center X.

PS: I've sent both a Leo and a Weaver back for Warranty, and received get service on both,

Last edited:
The Leupold was made in 1991 I guess is the reason for the lower price, the lens are very clean with no scratches or spots, the main tube does have some ringmarks but no dents, the Weaver looks nearly new

If you could buy either scope for the same price (300.00) which would you choose and why? the Leupold BR-36X has the locking AO and was made in 1991, The Weaver T-36 is used but not very old at all,both in good nearly equal condition. Thanks in advance.
One thing to think about,,, the Weaver has a warranty that applys only to the original buyer (owner) as the Leupold warranty go with the scope.

If its 1/4 clicks shooting rimfire at 50 yards you might not like it. I would go with the T36 just for the 1/8 clicks

had a few of them before ,some of the leu where very dark . the weaver got 1/8 moa the leu 1/4 moa
i prefere the weaver but that is just me

I put T36 scopes on all my benchrest rifles after I found out about the 1/4 clicks on the Leupold 36 I bought.
The T36 has never given me a problem.

One thing to think about,,, the Weaver has a warranty that applys only to the original buyer (owner) as the Leupold warranty go with the scope.

I have two BR-36's which I've owned for ±20 years and one T36 which I've had for 4. What I've found: as the scopes age it's easier to still adjust the Parallax on the Weaver, but with the Leupolds they seem to hold their old settings when trying to dial in a new one. When new they were all great, but with time, and trips back to the factory, the Leupolds needed several shots (sometimes dozens) before a different parallax setting would dial in. Of course, if you're going to shoot at just one distance, this wouldn't be an issue. Except, problem there would be, I use to find when shooting rimfire at 50 I would make a fine parallax adjustment between when shooting in the A.M. and P.M. due to the suns angle change, or if it switched from being overcast to sunny, or visa versa, during a match.

I used to only shoot rimfire at 50Y/M with the Leupolds, but when I started shooting Airguns I added the Weaver and have that on the one gun I shoot both 25Y/M and 50Y with for just this reason. Both brands are equal when it comes to Tracking and POI, so what ShevyII said above would make a whole lot of difference in my book. It may not seem like a big deal to not have a warranty, that is right up until you have a problem and your $300.00 scope just became not worth fixing.

If it were me, I'd buy a NEW T-36 for $400.00 knowing I would 1.) have a brand new scope, and 2.) have a warranty for as long as I owned it, so no worries.

Dave Shattuck

I have two BR-36's which I've owned for ±20 years and one T36 which I've had for 4. What I've found: as the scopes age it's easier to still adjust the Parallax on the Weaver, but with the Leupolds they seem to hold their old settings when trying to dial in a new one. When new they were all great, but with time, and trips back to the factory, the Leupolds needed several shots (sometimes dozens) before a different parallax setting would dial in. Of course, if you're going to shoot at just one distance, this wouldn't be an issue. Except, problem there would be, I use to find when shooting rimfire at 50 I would make a fine parallax adjustment between when shooting in the A.M. and P.M. due to the suns angle change, or if it switched from being overcast to sunny, or visa versa, during a match.

I used to only shoot rimfire at 50Y/M with the Leupolds, but when I started shooting Airguns I added the Weaver and have that on the one gun I shoot both 25Y/M and 50Y with for just this reason. Both brands are equal when it comes to Tracking and POI, so what ShevyII said above would make a whole lot of difference in my book. It may not seem like a big deal to not have a warranty, that is right up until you have a problem and your $300.00 scope just became not worth fixing.

If it were me, I'd buy a NEW T-36 for $400.00 knowing I would 1.) have a brand new scope, and 2.) have a warranty for as long as I owned it, so no worries.

Dave Shattuck

Can't argue with this logic.

For whatever it's worth, a new Weaver T-36 in silver with fine crosshairs is $319 shipped at MidwayUSA right now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...ies-rifle-scope-36x-40mm-adjustable-objective

Shows $399 for the Silver, W/ Dot, $319 W?Fine Crosshair when I looked it up

Last edited:
At 50 yards

Now there's a good thought.......appreciate the input guys....so do the Weavers hold POI well? Track well ?

a 1/4" click value scope is actually moving only 1/8th". Leupold because of the absolutely bullet proof warranty.

1/8" or 1/16" doesn't make much difference. How often do you hold center anyway?

Ken

Back