Length of pull

G

garrisone

I would like to know how the correct length of pull is determined. I have an Anschutz 54 action in a stock at the moment that feels like I am all jamed up when I shoot it. Thanks in advance for any help. garrisone.

Length of pull is what you are comfortable with in a particular position. That could be 12" for off hand and the same unit reset to 14.5" for prone. There is no one size fits all. A rough way to tell, taught to me years back, was to measure from the first joint of the trigger finger to the inside crook of you elbow, with the hand extended. Now that distance is going to change some depending on what you are wearing. Hope this helps some.

Pete and Johnny, Garrison did not ask how to or where to measure the length of pull of the rifle, but rather how to arrive at the correct length for his use. Hope I am not rubbing fur the wrong way.

Blades : Don't worry about rubbing fur the wrong way for me You are absultly right on about what I asked in my post. garrisone.

I shoot some 3p. My distance from crook of elbow to trigger finger is 14 inches. I wear a sweat shirt and leather shooting coat. For prone my gun measures 14 3/8 inch and kneeling and standing 13 3/8 inches. Your mileage may vary.

How to determine LOP......

Stand up straight and measure from the center of your shoulder, where the butt plate will fit, to the tip of your nose. If you are normal this will be about 12 inches. Starting with a normal LOP of 13 1/4 inches add or subtract one half the amount you vary from normal from the normal LOP. That's what you should try if you are going to shoot prone.♠ If you are shooting off a bench it may not make any difference what LOP you use. It probably doesn't make any difference for any shooting position if you can bring the sight aperture or scope eye relief to a proper and comfortable place for your eye when you are in position.

As far as I can tell the only requirement is in IR50 sporter and it is a minimum of 12.5" from trigger to end of butt plate

Back