Left The Range

lngrng

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Jay McMunn...............most here know him as "Jay Idaho". Jay was a wonderful friend to all that knew him. While the first impression of him may have been " country bumpkin", it didn't take long to see that he was a remarkable person with a thirst for knowledge. Jay was trained as a tool and die maker, and was a life-long experimenter that took great pleasure in looking at things "out of the box" rather than toe the line and do things the way they had always been done. He was very sucessful in his trade, and was held in high regard by the many outfits that he worked for, as he was in a position of product development.

I wish that Jay and I had lived closer to each other so that I could have spent more time with him, learning from him, and laughing......he had a real wit about him, and loved to tease. I am attaching a link to a memorial set-up for Jay. Find it at http://jay.mcmunn.com/

I'll miss you Jay

lngrng AKA Mark Van Beek

Wow this comes as a big surprise to me. I had the pleasure of meeting Jay at the 2008 NBRSA 1000yd Nationals. He was one heck of a nice guy and very knowledgable. You meet a lot of guys shooting but Jay was one of the few that made a lasting impression. I read his words of wisdom many times on this forum. My sympathy to his family and friends.

James Howsden

I shot with Jay a couple of times and never knew his last name. To me he was always Jay from Idaho. We exchanged many emails talking about gunsmithing and there is no doubt that he knew his way around a lathe. Another old timer gone.

Ray Meketa

I also emailed Jay many times over the years. He was always quick with an answer and a delight to exchange notes with.

I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

Condolences, he will be missed.
Pat Byrne

Last edited:
Wow, Jay was one of the "good guys"s and always helped me out. He will be missed here and on other boards. Thoughts and prayers out to those closer to Jay..

Nodak

Jay was one of the great contributors of information on this site. He will be missed! Hope the ranges where you now reside have favorable conditions all the time.
Rich De

Here is a picture of Jay getting his small group award from Match Director Craig St Claire at The 2009 NBRSA 1,000 Yard Nationals in Sacramento.

Jay made about 20 tuner weights and 3 tuner bodies in various lengths for myself during the Tuner Wars period and was using his own giant version of the Skip Otto' case forming die set to work on a 338 Lapua Short in 30 caliber for my heavygun.

I e-mailed him only a month ago letting him know I had a bunch of aluminum and stainless packaged up so he could tinker.He has never let on that he was sick or feeling bad in any way.

Jay had a very nice laugh/snicker he would let out whenever he was working on some interesting project.A nicer more helpful guy would be hard to find.
Lynn and Lynn Jr

all of us here in montana will miss him as well. i only had the privelage of meeting him twice, at our championship shoots, he was one of the "good guys" for sure. you can bet, wherever he is, there is a micrometer in his pocket.
tom mousel

Jay was a good man, a good friend and a fine shot. We will miss the "Mad Scientist"

Bob and Claudie

Back