Left hand shooters

Geramo

Question for left hand shooters, I'm looking for suggestions on equipment for varmint for score.
What kind of set up on action and front rest?:cool:

G.A.

right bolt right port works best for me with a farley rest set up for left handed shooters

Geramo, I am left handed. I use the sinclair left hand model rest, windage adjuster is on the right which is just what I like. I have other rests that are right handed that work but are tuff to use because I have to reach thru the rest to adjust. My actions are lblpre and rbrbre. I squeeze the bag with my right hand and my bag is filled tight , some shoot free recoil. There are a few good bags, I have a Dr. Bag that is good for me and 2 Edgewood bags that work also. As for actions, there are plenty of good ones being built by Bat, Nesika, Borden, Stiller, Kelby and more that are up to the task. I think if you follow the winning crowd you will see what the winners are shooting and go from there.

I,M a lefty too. R bolt Right port works really well and is common for most types of shooting.
Resale should be quicker if you want to change actions later. You can't go wrong with any of the Custom actions of today. I like my Viper Drop port a lot. It drops the case right out the bottom.

LBRPLE from a Farley

G.A.
I am a left handed shooter I shoot LBRPLE Bats from a Farley rest set up left handed. I would not choose any other setup for a leftie.

However I started out shooting RBRP no eject and found it worked fine but desired to have a left Bolt rifle. I spoke to Alan Hall the builder of Hall actions and he advised me if I was happy shooting RB leave it alone as if I got a Left Bolt it would ruin me for RB actions. I believe I told him he was crazy but he was absolutely correct, after a few months of shooting LB I tried shooting a 22PPC 40x I owned and I felt like I was working my bolt blind-folded with my hands behind my back. I eventually sold all my RB rifles.
I still would recommend LBRPLE as the best setup for a leftie but I warn you in advance it will ruin you for RB rifles.

Dick

What I've right now is a Viper RBLP no eject, Hart pedestal Hoehn's windage top, but the constant changing wind conditions at Tomball makes it hard to go fast around the target.
The competition is getting tough and it is hard to keep up.

G.A.

Hard to go fast around the target you say!

What I've right now is a Viper RBLP no eject, Hart pedestal Hoehn's windage top, but the constant changing wind conditions at Tomball makes it hard to go fast around the target.
The competition is getting tough and it is hard to keep up.

G.A.

Geramo,

May I suggest a L/H Caldwell 746 Fire Control System. The 746 utilizes a joy stick that can help you maneuver around those pesky score targets during a big match under difficult conditions. It will definitely help you keep up with the tough competition at Tomball. They look great and are priced right at around $163. Believe me you can't go wrong with one of these new fire control systems.

unnamed.jpg

Shoot small my friend,

v

I shoot left handed because I am left eye dominant. I have both RR and LR bench rifles. Possibly because I am right handed, and fairly good with my left, I find that switching back and forth is not a problem. I will admit to a couple of false moves till I "settle in" but I like both, and I would much rather shoot a RR than a LL from the bench, of course I have never tried a Farley rest, so that might change my point of view.

Left handed

I'm right handed but shoot left handed. I use a Bat. action and a Panda action they are LB-RP- LE and a Farley rest set up for left handed shooter works well for me and I have tried a lot of them. Save yourself some money and start with this setup but, if you have a lot of money to spare then do whatever you want. That is my two cents.

Geramo, I shoot left handed with a BAT Left bolt, right port, left eject and use a Farley rest set up for a left handed shooter. The first Benchrest rifle I shot was a right bolt left port, I found that setup the hardest rifle to shoot.......loading ammo and extracting a case from a port you couldn't see was like trying to do it blindfolded.........Ian

This thread is timely for me since I am helping a lefty get started in BR now. But reading the post so far, I have a question about port configuration, and shooting a joystick rest… Wouldn’t the most efficient way to do it be to use a left bolt, left port with left eject? That way you wouldn’t have to take your hand off the joy stick to load? Also it would seem like it gets the cartridge block out of the way of the arm that is working the joy stick? I don’t use a Farley type rest so I would appreciate your input on this. Thanks

Rick Graham

This thread is timely for me since I am helping a lefty get started in BR now. But reading the post so far, I have a question about port configuration, and shooting a joystick rest… Wouldn’t the most efficient way to do it be to use a left bolt, left port with left eject? That way you wouldn’t have to take your hand off the joy stick to load? Also it would seem like it gets the cartridge block out of the way of the arm that is working the joy stick? I don’t use a Farley type rest so I would appreciate your input on this. Thanks

Rick Graham

Not for me,
with RP you work bolt with left hand while loading new round with Right. Who cares about holding onto Joystick you have to move on to next bull anyway.

Last edited:
Dick,
There is this new game called group shooting that has had a short history up in the north west;-) I am sure that that is what Rick is helping his friend get geared up for.
Boyd

Dick,
There is this new game called group shooting that has had a short history up in the north west;-) I am sure that that is what Rick is helping his friend get geared up for.
Boyd

Perhaps, but this thread is about setup for Score Shooting

Original Question was
"Question for left hand shooters, I'm looking for suggestions on equipment for varmint for score.
What kind of set up on action and front rest?"

You leave me little ground to stand on, when you are so obviously correct. Merry day after Christmas.
Boyd

Happy Boxing day to you Boyd, but actually I think you had it correct in the first place it was Rick who was a little off track.

Happy New year to you also

Dick

Thanks Dick for the reply. Boyd is correct that I do mostly group shooting. That’s interesting though… I hadn’t considered there could be a difference between score shooting and group shooting where it didn’t slow you down if you take your hand off the stick to load.

If anyone else has an opinion on this I’d like to hear it. Thanks

Rick Graham

Thanks Dick for the reply. Boyd is correct that I do mostly group shooting. That’s interesting though… I hadn’t considered there could be a difference between score shooting and group shooting where it didn’t slow you down if you take your hand off the stick to load.

If anyone else has an opinion on this I’d like to hear it. Thanks

Rick Graham[/QUOTE

Rick
There are serious differences between Group and Score. In score you must hit what you aim at, there are no second chances if your first shot goes awry.
As to holding the joystick when you shoot, I personally do that but I have been told by several people you should not hold the joystick, I may just start a thread asking that question.

Dick

Back