Learned About My Eye Fatigue

rkittine

I learned something very important for me to keep in mind in the future. When I started testing .22 Rimfire Ammo I did not test in any special order. When I posted tests with the Tenex, I did not take into consideration which I shot first and last. I did not think it matter, but then decided that maybe eye fatigue caused some of the variation, so yesterday I shot batches of the same ammo from the same lot numbers, but I shot the Tenex first, followed by the Midas Lapua and then the Eley Target. This target shows sighters on the bottom (5 shots) and then 10 shot groups above. Far right Tenex, Middle Lapua Midas and left Eley Target, which had shot the best (but was shot first) on my last test. This was also outside with 5+ MPH wind.

So now I take into consideration eye fatigue and I am shooting with a patch on my left eye as I am left eye dominant, but have to shoot a rifle right handed (I shot shoguns with both eyes open and handguns left handed) because I have a pacemaker embedded in my left shoulder.

Bob

Attachments

• 22 RIMFIRE TARGET 06-15-17.jpg
    22 RIMFIRE TARGET 06-15-17.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 317
don't spend more than about 10 seconds ( iirc) squinting through scope or irons before resting eye, eyeball starts to dry out in about 5-6 don't remember the rest period specs for full recovery.

It might be your fatigue stems from a not quite properly focused reticle which is critical and harder to do with age because if you look through the eyepiece for more than 5-10 seconds your eye will adjust and then create a fatigue issue when shooting because id was not adjusted properly.

I can speak to this issue because I am right handed and have a dominant left eye, and have shot from the bench both right and left handed, the right being an experiment. I normally shoot rifles left handed. Extended use of ones non dominant eye will cause problems. When I was in my 20s I experienced a scratched cornea of my dominant eye. After the small piece of slag was removed, and medicine applied, the eye was covered with a stack of gauze patches and bandaged, forcing me to only use my off eye. I managed it, but there were issues even though I was not looking through a rifle scope. If one must shoot with one's off eye, I think that the best that can be done is to limit the time that one spends looking through the rifle scope. It may be that some sort of eye block that leaves the dominant eye open is better than patching, or holding it closed.

Bob,
If I'm not mistaken, somebody make a scope mount that allows you the option of having the lens in front of the proper eye. Worth a search.

Thanks, Boyd and I have talked about that as well as some other things to try. I am sure it was less of a problem when I was younger. Old age is not for the meek.

Bob

made a bunch of those off set scope mounts over the years . there used to be a co. that had off set rings for same, although they generally were not far enough. Seen some very strange looking butt areas of stocks to accomplish the same thing. Did not look particularly comfortable to shoot.

2 things.

Cold water eye wash between strings.

Clean barrel when going to different ammo. The lube on the bullets dont always work well together. This most will know, as i am sure you do.

Attachments

• EyeWash.JPG
    EyeWash.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 149
I always do a complete cleaning in between ammo changes and shot sighters to resight and foul the barrel. I have not thought about the eye wash, which I think I will try. Thanks Bob

Randloph Machine in Ashboro NC, the people who make the Fulgham rest also make offset rings. The quality is first class as on all their products and they are great
to deal with. Renae and I both use the offset rings and really like them.
Jeff F.

I've seen a lot of those offset scope mounts and they're pretty good for those that need them. Shop around before you buy in an attempt to get the right mount for you. One part of the deal is that the mount weighs a little bit and you may have to rob some weight from somewhere to meet a rule.

I went to there site and looked at their offset scope rings.

http://randolphmachine.com/rings.html

They claim they shooters that want to, get their heads off the stocks. Since they are only 3/4" offset, I am not sure that they will allow actually using the opposite eye without leaving way over the stock. The center of my eyes are for sure more than 3/4".

Bob

No...That's not the one you want. Keep looking! When I get back from the doctor, if I get back, I'll help you look.

Back