Lapua Midas M alternative?

JerrySharrett

Senile Member
Supossedily Lapua Midas M had a smaller bullet diameter, or so I was told. I have a couple of sporters that shot the M better than anything else. Is there an equivalent made today? Lapua says to try Midas +.

Supossedily Lapua Midas M had a smaller bullet diameter, or so I was told. I have a couple of sporters that shot the M better than anything else. Is there an equivalent made today? Lapua says to try Midas +.

Jerry, i believe the M was actually std size and the L was slightly larger. You will, in all likelihood find Eley black box " match" quite acceptable.
You might call Killough's for a few test lots to get started.
If you go that route clean the bore down to clean metal as the Eley lube won't perform best over something else and have at it

Midas +

Like all rimfire ammo you'll have to test some but the Midas + is the best way to go!!
There are a few that are shooting Center X and having good luck but that's more of a gamble.
Good Luck in your quest!!

Like all rimfire ammo you'll have to test some but the Midas + is the best way to go!!
There are a few that are shooting Center X and having good luck but that's more of a gamble.
Good Luck in your quest!!

I've got 5-6 different bricks of black box, 2-3 bricks of red box, wolf match extra, fed 900 & 1000 Um-1and some others but none shoot in the sporters like the Midas M. The Midas M I have mikes average 0.0006" smaller than these others. So??

I've got 5-6 different bricks of black box, 2-3 bricks of red box, wolf match extra, fed 900 & 1000 Um-1and some others but none shoot in the sporters like the Midas M. The Midas M I have mikes average 0.0006" smaller than these others. So??

Sooo, if you're looking for something dimensionally equivilent.....you're screwed, it does not exist. Something should work but you are back to testing.
Are you cleaning well between all these brand changes, because if not your testing is out the window, Eley will not shoot worth a damn over their fouling.

Sooo, if you're looking for something dimensionally equivilent.....you're screwed, it does not exist. Something should work but you are back to testing.
Are you cleaning well between all these brand changes, because if not your testing is out the window, Eley will not shoot worth a damn over their fouling.

I may not be cleaning as good as I should but I usually Fire about 12 or so before I test another sample. A rimfire expert I'm not.

I may not be cleaning as good as I should but I usually Fire about 12 or so before I test another sample. A rimfire expert I'm not.

This is what I'm trying to help you with Jerry. Because of the type of lube used with Eley, you can shoot other ammo over it but rarely the other way around and some other brands will send your testing right off the rails. I honestly cannot tell you exactly why but this seems established practice. That said, with all manner of switching, if it were me, I'd go right to clean metal, use rimfire blend or a dedicated solvent, not CF stuff, brush it out just like a PPC barrel and repeat that between brands and I think you will get an honest assesment of your ammo/barrel situation.

Midas +

Jerry,
Until you get it and try it you'll always be wondering?!
Get a couple of boxes of each lot that's out there and test it.
You don't have to buy bricks just a couple boxes of each to get an idea!
Pete

This is what I'm trying to help you with Jerry. Because of the type of lube used with Eley, you can shoot other ammo over it but rarely the other way around and some other brands will send your testing right off the rails. I honestly cannot tell you exactly why but this seems established practice. That said, with all manner of switching, if it were me, I'd go right to clean metal, use rimfire blend or a dedicated solvent, not CF stuff, brush it out just like a PPC barrel and repeat that between brands and I think you will get an honest assesment of your ammo/barrel situation.

Thanks Tim. What are you calling "rimfire blend or CF"? I normally use Shooters Choice, Butches, or Montana Extreme. I occasionally use a Hoppes lead remover product in back-to-the-metal cleaning. Then one of the mild abrasives.

The CF (center fire) stuff, for copper/lead is not necessarilly the best for rimfire, rimfire blend is purpose designed for r22's, one of the citrus based cleaners that are adept at cutting the waxed based lube.
Easy to find, brush and patch out just like your 6. I like to follow up with oil/ dry patch, some do some don't.

Back