KIMBER 82G stock torque settings

J

johncamsr

Does anybody know what the torque setting of the two screws holding the action of the Kimber 82 G to the stock is? I had the barreled action on and off several times for various reasons and at that time I did not have my new FAT wheeler Engineering Torque Wrench. Thanks for any help you may be able to share. john

mine is pillered and bedded and the setting with the fat wrench is around 28lbs. prior to bedding everytime I took the action from the stock the settings for both changed, if I tried resetting to 22lbs as they were originally set the accuracy would be off. each time I had to go slightly higher with the settings and sometimes it took me 5 trips to the range to get it right, that's when I decided to have it bedded and the accuracy has been excellent since. prior to bedding the tang screw was 2lbs lighter than the front. just prior to bedding the settings were around 34 and 36lbs. I may have taken the action from the stock 8 or more times.

Last edited by a moderator:
mine is pillered and bedded and the setting with the fat wrench is around 28lbs. prior to bedding everytime I took the action from the stock the settings for both changed if I tried resetting to 22lbs as they were originally set the accuracy would be off. each time I had to go slightly higher with the settings and sometimes it took me 5 trips to the range to get it right, that's when I decided to have it bedded and the accuracy has been excellent since. prior to bedding the tang screw was 2lbs lighter than the front.

Martin ,thanks for your feed back. I'm taking the rifle to the gun smith to see about a new barrel, I will ask him if he can piller bedded as well. john

John how is the accuracy of yours, with a little tweaking, a tuner, a nemo trigger upgrade and some match ammo these can be fairly accurate. these rifles need held ever so lightly as the stock will tend to roll on them.

I have done some testing on mine and found it to be best with the rear always tightened first and done to 15 inch lbs , the accuracy is good with the front done to 15 but It actually does slightly better with the front at 8 . a freind has one his shoots best with both set to 16 inch lbs . I added a 4inch wide flat peice attached to the forend rail and let the rifle free recoil . Rifle shoots well but will never be competitive on the local level here , there are usually 6-8 full on customs at a match .

John how is the accuracy of yours, with a little tweaking, a tuner, a nemo trigger upgrade and some match ammo these can be fairly accurate. these rifles need held ever so lightly as the stock will tend to roll on them.

Martin, the accuracy seemed to be better when I first got it and was shooting iron sights. Its only a few months old. I thought it would shoot better if I put a scope on it but, that just opened another can of worms that took me awhile to work out. I have to tell you that I'm shooting out to 200 yards, from a rest. I have the trigger set to around 1lb. and I just received and installed a small bore vibration controller that mounts on the barrel, made by henrich3@ncn.net I will not be able to try and start tuning it in until this weekend. I'm using federal target No. 719 ammo. I got a feeling that I will be moving up to a more expensive ammo soon if this controller does not work. I should know by this week end. Again, thanks for your input. john

I have done some testing on mine and found it to be best with the rear always tightened first and done to 15 inch lbs , the accuracy is good with the front done to 15 but It actually does slightly better with the front at 8 . a freind has one his shoots best with both set to 16 inch lbs . I added a 4inch wide flat peice attached to the forend rail and let the rifle free recoil . Rifle shoots well but will never be competitive on the local level here , there are usually 6-8 full on customs at a match .

Pops, thanks for your insights, I will have to try various torque settings now that I have the FAT by wheeler. The next step in the very near future is a $2,500 Anshutz. What else can you get for $2,500 dollars? Its tuff to compete against such customs.

John, it can be very difficult to tune even the finest match barrel with ammo traveling 1200fps. if your goal is long range shooting match ammo such as eley or lapua with an elevation adapter may give you better results. the slower bullets tend to be more stable. these 82g's are often refered to as military trainers some may have been used as that but, they were mfg. to match standards at that time. matching the right ammo when shooting against todays match barrels and actions is even more critical if you want to be competitive at the club level.

Pops, thanks for your insights, I will have to try various torque settings now that I have the FAT by wheeler. The next step in the very near future is a $2,500 Anshutz. What else can you get for $2,500 dollars? Its tuff to compete against such customs.

While I do own some anschutz rifles (older ones) and from what I understand there are some stock rifles that are competitive with the customs but its rare . I think if i had $2500 to spend on a anshutz I would save a few sheckles more and get the custom , Or watch the Classifieds here as I do see some good rifles sell for some pretty good prices at times .

Back