Kelbly/Davidson bases and rails

S

small group

Does anybody know were dimensions for Kelby/Davidson/Jewell bases can be had. I have used the search function and am not getting results. Angle and some sort of width so that I can make some bases would be helpful. Who set the "standard" for this type of set up? I have a set to measure but I was expecting the numbers to fall on some even dimensions. They do not. If I had more sets I could get more of a feel for them but I have just the one set. Thanks for any help.

Let me clarify. I am looking for dimensions and /or industry standards for this type of mounting system.

I know that it’s not exactly the answer that you’re looking for, but I’m presuming that you are trying to measure the width of the dovetail?

With the set that you have use 2 thread gauge pins or a couple of harden dowel pins that will sit nicely in the male dovetail and measure across, this will give you a base line to work to.

I use a ½” 60deg dovetail cutter

Cheers

Let me clarify. I am looking for dimensions and /or industry standards for this type of mounting system. I am familiar with the 2 pin method of measuring angles. That is how I measured the ones that I have. I would like to know what numbers they were aiming for as none of the measurements fall on any sort of standard numbers. I really do know how to measure things. Been at it a long time.

Just a guess on my part, but I'd say that there was no dimensional standard for the Kelbly dovetail when they or Ralph Stolle came up with the dovetail base for their action. That's what happens when you're the first to use a particular base setup. You set the standard. The bottom of the ring is cut with a 1/2" 60 degree dovetail. The base is cut basically .475 wide and .187" or so deep and then the angle cuts made for a good tight fit on the 1/2" dovetail of the ring bottom. The .475" width gives a small flat on each side of the dovetail on the base so that you don't have a sharp point in the base fitting against a sharp point in the ring. Probably not what you want.

Back