Just started. Please critique my targets

98_1LE

Before last week I have never really shot from a rest; always from the shoulder. Anyway, after buying a well setup 10/22 from a local gentleman last week have decided to start shooting rimfire BR (despite telling the seller I wasn't going to compete... Change of mind...) An light internal shake that comes out through my hands keeps the delusions of grandeur at bay, but I would like to shoot as best I can, eventually graduating to longer distances.

Anyway these were shot off three 2x4's that were nailed together with no bags at 25 yards.

5 shot groups, including the one at the top.
dec24_2007_wolf_mt_25yd.jpg

5 shot groups for the first four, 3 for the next ten.
dec24_2007_fed_champion_25yd.jpg

dec24_2007_sk_stan_plus_25yd.jpg

One thing I noticed is that after changing mags the point-of-aim seemed to move. After mulling this over I suspect this is from my hold on the rifle changing, and not the mag. Thoughts?

I know a decent rest and bag are required to consider being competitive. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't see any powder burns on the targets so, if they were shot at 50yds. I would not sell that 10/22. Get you a good front and rear rest, and go and have some fun at a match.

If your going to compete, your just wasting your ammo at 25 yards.

If your just plinking, your in good shape. Sand bags will make a big improvement, and an adjustable rest will improve you even more.

50yds will be the distance if you decide to compete.

And I take that back about wasting ammo. ANY practice is good. Your getting used to your trigger and how the gun handles. Since you kept records of the groups, that shows you had a goal for the session.

Not to mention you had enough sense to shoot indoors and not freeze to death:cool:

10/22 shooting

This Is not my idea 7 havent tried it but I do shoot 10/22 a lot I see your having some flyers I read on here that an incorrectly closed bolt will sometimes cause this & I fully plan to try making sure the bolt closes completely everytime before firing. I have a light bbld. gun Im having this prob. with 7 I notice some case bulging & Ill bet its from the bolt not closing correctly (all the way) . I also shoot the SK bullets & in my bolt guns get NO flyers.

Thanks. I am a member at an indoor range, meaning I have paid for the year. Unfortunately the long ranges are only 25-yards there. I sometimes shoot at an outdoor range that has longer distances, and will shoot 50 there.

I will make sure the bolt is closed and use a rolled up towel until I get the other gear. Right now I am just trying to get some trigger-time and some of the basics down.

98 1le

To solve that first shot flier problem with the 10/22: Put 7 shots in the magazine. Shoot the first one into the backstop to fowl the bore. Shoot the next 5 into the target. You will have one shot left, and it will be in the chamber. Take out the magazine and low 5 more. Shoot 5 shots. Don't shoot the 6th one. Leave it in the chamber. Load 5 more and shoot 5, leaving that 6th shot in the chamber again. And: Load another 5.

When you manually pull that lever back and let the bolt slide home, the angle of the firing pin will be different than when the action self-loads. That difference will give you the wide shot.

If you want to get into 10/22 competition: There is a monthly match for your kind of rifle over on Rimfire Central. 25 shots for score on the USBR target. New match every month. Both 25 yards and 50 yards. There are 3 other classes too: Unlimited, Vintage Smallbore and Factory Sporter. You shot on your own range and report your scores in the RFC's Benchrest Scope Sight USBR Matches section

Go here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=181
Enter January scores: 25 yard Semi-Auto.
Enter January scores: 50 yard Semi-Auto.

The December threads are up now. Wait for the January matches to be posted.

The match rules are always listed at the top of each thread. Read the rules.

Range gear

When I first started shooting off the bench I went to the bank & got a couple of cotton coin bags, filled with sand they make great bags you can fill one kinda loose for the back then roll the front one into a log for the front. Ive been shooting from the bench a long time & still use a home made front rest I built out of 1" bolt& 3 1" nuts & some bar for the legs Any way you dont have to spend a fortune Have some fun & make your gear.Ill bet SOME OF the guys on here are having a Good laugh at this & wish we would go over to rimfire central.

I'll bet . . .

Yea Any22:

I'll bet a LOT of the guys on this forum started the same way you did.

And: I know a LOT of shooters here on BRC who are shooting Sanctioned matches, that started over on Rimfire Central in the RFC On-Line Matches.

Mr. Frosty
From Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Back