just getting started CZ452/455 build question for Benchrest

F

FurMuncher

I'm thinking about getting into rimfire Benchrest and looking at building a new rig for this sport.

So the question is which is a better action to build on CZ452 or CZ455? and can these actions compete with the big boys in Benchrest sports or will I be limiting myself by using a CZ action?

Other question - what are the top 5 barrels or most commonly used for rimfire Benchrest builds? and can someone point me to a few BR stock builders that will ship to Canada?

I have read this older post so it cover a little info
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?65444-Really-could-use-help-CZ-452-Varmit-or-American

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not take this the wrong way.
Neither. I would look for a used custom. In the long run it will save you time, $$$ and a few grey hairs.

I started out with a CZ452 with a Benchmark barrel in a Stith stock. Great little shooter and very accurate. And I will never sell it because it was the 1st benchrest rifle I bought and built up. But would never be able to hang with a Gorham ir Eck built on a cutsom action.

One thing to remember is on a CZ455 you can buy Lilja drop in barrels a CZ452 you have to find a smith to do the chamber work.

Pretty much all the sanctioning organizations have websites and all include equipment lists. About 1/2 hour will get you more than you need.

I guess I need to ad some more info here. first I live on the wrong side of the border. Your neighbor to the north. That's right Canada.

My problem here is we have gunsmiths but as far as my searches have gone, no one with the skills to build a true 22lr match rifle that can compete at the top or close to it.
Sure we have good gunsmiths that make great center fire match & custom rifles. But it seem the rimfire doesn't have the draw for talented gunsmiths.

So guys like djdilliodon on RFC & sniper hide are the Guru's in this field of rimfire. I have talked to a few gunsmiths on my side of the border and I get the yah I can build one for you.
but no guaranty it can do .2 @50yrd with match or quality ammo, then what's the point of having you build it if your not confident in your work & products?

So I'm now looking else where for info to get this done.

It always depends....

Depends on whether or not you want a rifle that shoots good or a rifle that's capable of winning. There's not that much difference in how they shoot but a winner usually, not always, costs a lot more. If you're planning on winning, I recommend you stay clear of the CZ in any shape form or fashion. If you plan to just enjoy yourself a CZ is just fine. You may get the CZ of all CZs!

There are some great barrels available for the CZ 455 actions now. Lilja has had them out for quite a while. Recently KSS has offered some Shilen rachets that drop right in. We're all familiar with the successes it has had. I'd bet with this addition one could be quite competitive.
There's aftermarket triggers out there for them but am unaware of how light they are. And simple trigger kits that will get them down into ounces
There are several stock makers doing stocks for them too. So all the stuff is out there to have a decent platform.
All that said until its done & we've seen it nationally competitive all of us are going to say the same thing. Buy once, cry once. Go with a custom built by a known smith. You'll be happier for it in the end.

Makes me kinda want to see though......

Keith

Either

The best answer is message djdilliodon on rimfire central or snipers hide. I have two rifles built by him and a 3rd being built. I have two CZ455 and he is doing an annie right now for me. I don't expect any better accuracy i just chose to build something different. It's not just as simple as buying a lilja drop in as some people do. If you do you might get lucky you might not but message djdilliodon and he will set you straight. Either of the actions will work but its the lot testing of ammo that is the most important.

David

Back