JDS Bolt Lube

TomD

e publius unum
At a match in 2011 JD Denoff (not sure how to spell last name) walked around one morning giving away hypos of bolt lube labeled "JDS Bolt Lube". It is a medium gray green color & of light viscosity that flows well in the cold. I've since found that it is a great lube for several other things including fishing reels, the internals of the ratchet mech on the free hub on my bicycle and anything involving bearings. Not to mention rifle bolts.

Anyone know what the grease is or how to contact JD to ask?

Last edited:
If you read the thread, it would seem to indicate that the phone number and email address in the last post are JD's.

Also, I messaged JD on FB and pointed him to this thread.

JD says

Im no longer a member of BR Central. Thanks for the heads up. You can post my email on BR Central in answer to the mans inquiry, jden91266@gmail.com. I will be at both IBS/NBRSA Nat and will have some free lube to anyone that wants it.

JD said

Greg, The part number is PSL 45000 Calcium Sulfonate Grease. Bought from Goldenwest in Pomona, Ca. 1-800-540-5823

OOOPs

Thought I already had some of that grease but when I went to my shop today I discovered that it is Lubrimatic but it's High Temperature Disc/Drum Brake Wheel Bearing Grease. Same color and similar label but no mention of Calcium Sulfonate in the ingredients.

Al, sometimes it's the little touches that make something great.
Ben, I guess I'd use it if I stirred my coffee with my rifle bolt. :eek:

I've got 3 or 4 different types of bolt lube in my range boxes and I'd be surprised if all of them didn't do a more than adequate job. The main advantage of JD's is that it has less initial viscosity and less viscosity change with lower temperatures, very nice property for cold mornings. That's the property that makes it handy for the gears in my fishing reels and like stuff.

Turns out that a local business that makes and services boat trailers stocks the stuff.

Finally went to the site that Ben posted. This part of the article is interesting.

Calcium sulfonate greases are generally beneficial for rust performance, with oxidation stability considered good or excellent. Rust inhibitors are surfactants that neutralize acids on the surface of metal. They can also make an oily surface, or barrier, to stop rust on the surface.

Back