JB welding scope bases

rooshooter

Just checking, do BR gunsmiths make a point of JB cold welding scope bases to the actions? I will be putting one piece bases on my centerfire and rimfire rifles and was thinking of JB cold welding them, to sort of add bedding as well as making them more secure.

On bases, it's good practice to bed them in place, but the idea is to get a 100 % good fit, release agant is used and once the bedding sets up the base is removed, everything is cleaned, and the base is reinstalled with the screws for a real nice fit. I use lock tight on the screws as well. But the bases are not per say glued to the action.

Paul

Sounds good but unnecessary

This is one of those things where if a little is good more sounds better. If the base fits the action and the screws pull it down tight that's plenty enough.

Not really,

Round actions and somewhat round bases can look or apear tight if in a bind. Then you put the rings on and install the scope as you tighten the scope, it could shift the bases so that they now are truely aligned, and now loose, but you don't reallize it till you are shooting. If they are bedded to the exact shape of the action and tightened they will not shift or loosen.

Paul

By the way Wilbur i have sent you 2 emails this last week and you have replied to neither of them. Are you still using your email through this website?

rooshooter,
For what its worth I like to JB my bases with no release agent. If you put an iron on the bases to heat them up they will come off just fine.
It will be a little hard to clean up the action if you later decide to remove them.

Black Kiwi shoe pollish works good as a release agent, apply it thin but thourough, even on the screw threads. Once the bedding sets up it cleans free with rubbing alcohol.

Paul

If you're installing a one piece base like a Farrell, try draping a piece of 400 grit paper over the action and hand fit the base to the action if there's not too much metal to remove. The bases are soft and usually doesn't take too long. I like this better than epoxy type bedding materials because time can make them brittle and they will crack. Had this happen on a SS Rem. Scope was all over the paper, then found the bedding was cracked and base was loose.
db

Back