James Lederer Barrels

X

xxper

Has anyone tried one of James Lederers barrels? 4 or 6 groove?

Thank you
Jim

Barrels

never heard of him....... not that means anything......do they work.....????..where is he out of....???? does he have a website...??? contact info...???
bill larson

James was with Rock Creek Barrels for a long time and then decided to start a new company. I believe that he is still in Wisconsin. Good shooting...James

I know James Lederer is making 30 caliber barrels and I heard he also makes 6mm also. He is based in Wisconsin

James will be making 6mm barrels real soon. He is still working on some tooling. James is a great fella and I really think he will make a real stand in the barrel making industry. James built his own rifling machine for pete sakes. That's impressive all in its own self. I am really looking forward to getting my 6mm blanks from him. Great guy to boot. I really hope he does well. Give him a call. 608 347 6629

I've got a few on order. James makes a great barrel from what I hear. He is really hard to get a hold of or return calls. Do not expect the barrels quickly unless you are somebody, been waiting months when he made a friend of mine a barrel in 2 weeks.

Ya' know, if it is a one man operation he probably doesn't have time to yack with every yahoo who just wants to hear theirselves talk.

Ya' know, if it is a one man operation he probably doesn't have time to yack with every yahoo who just wants to hear theirselves talk.

I agree Jerry. Just trying to get dates for customers. I have 7 barrels on order and call every 2 months for updates. And when I go to another shop that does tactical work and the owner gets a barrel in 2 weeks makes you wonder where you stand.

Was he the guy that got all the barrel makers stuff from Maryland that made the best 30 barrels? I know it went to and or was stored at Rock Creek…….. jim

No, Jim.
Rock Creek got the Kostyshyn barrel business. James was working for Rock Creek at the time and was working to get the new production line going. As so many in the barrel business in Wisconsin and environs, James learned from the master, Boots Obermyer. James and I were talking about three years ago and he swore me to secrecy that he was leaving Mike and Debbie Rock. It's all history now so I guess I can mention it. He was looking to build his own riflers and deep bore machinery. I guess deep bore first. I told him to contact Ron Pence in Indiana. Ron has built a number of riflers. James did build his own riflers under Ron's guidance. As with any new business start up, it takes money and time. James is progressing nicely and is a good man.

Lederer barrels

I know James pretty well and I had one of his’ 30 cal barrels (HV 17 twist) but let a friend have it that needed a barrel. I did look through it with a bore scope and it looked as good as any barrel I have ever looked at, seemed to look to have minimal tooling marks and really smooth- but as we all know looks does not make a barrel shoot well. Greg Sweezy shot one of James’ barrels on his hunter class rifle at the NBRSA score national match in Casper this past August and while he didn’t win he placed pretty good and when I talked to him he said he thought it was a very good barrel.

James is a one man business so no doubt he is busy. There is no doubt in my mind- James knows what he is doing. Last time I talked to him he was just getting ready to start in setting up for 6MM barrels so I ordered 3 of them and am waiting. He will make 4 or 6 groove barrels and just about any twist one desires. Probably best to contact him via email at james@jriflebarrels.com

Wayne Corley

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a barrel from James after the order is placed?

I agree Jerry. Just trying to get dates for customers. I have 7 barrels on order and call every 2 months for updates. And when I go to another shop that does tactical work and the owner gets a barrel in 2 weeks makes you wonder where you stand.

Yep, I had a friend who wanted a benchrest gun built even though he doesn't intend to shoot competition. He doesn't have the time since he is an ER doctor and on call 24. Anyhoo, I introduced him to a friend and well known BR gunsmith. To shorten the story, 4 years later the DR still doesn't have but part of that order delivered. I realize these small shops can't operate a planning and scheduling system like SAP or the like but it would be "obliging" if they gave customers at least a guesstimate of delivery time AND in this case not run important shooters in front of regular orders.

Back to the barrel maker ask by the OP, have you or anyone you know used these barrels?

Hi all.

I'm James Lederer. I thought I'd stop by and introduce myself; I figured one of these threads would pop up sooner or later.

I've been shooting benchrest in competition since 2006, and I've been working in the barrel industry since 2004. I began making barrels at Rock Creek Barrels, and got my start learning to make barrels from Mike Rock. While I have met and respect Boots Obermeyer greatly, I did not learn from him. I rifled most of the cut-rifled barrels that came out of Rock creek from late 2005 until 2012. I parted ways with Rock Creek in early 2012 and started my own company in the summer of 2012. I parked my South Bend Heavy 10 in some rental shop space, started putting together a shop, and designed and built my barrel making machinery. This included a deep hole drill, barrel reamer, and cut-rifling machine. As you can expect it took quite a while, and was quite the learning experience. I started production of 30 caliber barrels, primarily for benchrest shooters, in the early spring of 2014. I am pretty satisfied with the way they are turning out, and I have received some excellent feed back on their performance.

I am a one man operation, I do everything from cleaning the toilets (sometimes) to shipping finished barrels. I have to apologize to those that are still waiting for barrels. There have been a lot of fits and starts, and I did quite a bit of traveling over the summer to various matches. I try to give good lead time estimates, but I admit they aren't always accurate.

I am close to having 6mm production started. I have some tooling to finish up and probably will have a wrinkle or two to iron out, but I expect to start shipping 6mm's to those who have them on order near the end of this month.

I appreciate the patience of the people who are waiting for barrels, and that of those who have received them. And I have to give great thanks for all the support and encouragement I have received over the last couple of years. The Benchrest community is filled with many fine people.

I hope everyone has a great year in 2015, and feel free to contact me at any time. I do my best to return calls and emails, but if you don't hear from me make sure to be persistent. One of the great things about this job is being able to talk to different like-minded people from all over the country. Thanks.

James Lederer
www.jlriflebarrels.com (work in progress)
(608)424-0214
(608)347-6629

Last edited:
Back