J Tech or J Tex

F

fe1

Anyone have any contact info. for the company that done the barrel treatment for SG&Y? It is called J tech or J tex.

cotact Don Starks (aka stick) S&S PRECISION he was Speedys right hand man
and a heck of a gun smith. 940-566-7001

Here ya go

J-Tex Technology Inc
22372 Us Highway 271, Gladewater, TX 75647-9726
Phone: (903) 845-1330

SIC:Chemicals and Chemical Preparations, NEC

Line of Business:Metal Treating Process

J Tex

Mr. Allen,
Thanks for the info. Have you had any expierence with the Jtex system. A couple of barrels I have is supposed to have it on them,but I haven't fired them enough to know if it really works. A good friend of mine has had it on a couple of his barrels and seems to think it works.
How do you feel about it? If it really works I have a few more barrels I am considering having done.
thanks, Floyd Elder

JTex

Mr. Chism,
It is a treatment that you can have applied that is supposed to greatly extend barrel life according to Speedy G. I have a couple of barrels built by Speedy that it is supposed to have it but,I haven't shot them enough to know.A good friend has had some barrels done with it and he seems to think it worked.
Regards, Floyd

Anyone know what it is and what it is supposed to do? I would assume that it is some kind of bore treatment. Some of Speedy's barrels had that dusted diamond treatment on the exterior, but that would not have any bearing on making the barrel last longer. Just sett'n here and wondering......Donald

J tech Jtex

This company hardens oil rig drill bits.
my friend bob had it done to both of his benchrest rifles.. He claims to get extended barrel life. As of now he has 4,000 rounds with little wash out on his barrels that has been treated.

And for a colossal failure attributed to the J-TeX (Catalytic Surface Conversion) treatment, see Precision Shooting July, 1999, page 18ff.

The article was written by Lynn Standish, who is a friend of mine -- which I suppose constitutes a bias.

That out of the way, what the article reported was that the gunsmith George Vais had several barrels treated with the CSC treatment. They all shot poorly until very high pressures were reached, where some shot very good. This lead to the "stretcher" tubes, which seemed to help -- and also helped untreated barrels -- what I call tensioned barrels.

Lynn speculated that the reduced bore friction was the root of the problem, but no proof.

There are others, Speedy being the only CF smith I heard of, who supposedly used the treatment with success. Nothing in print that I know of though, just "talk." I believe the process was used successfully with rimfire -- another PS article.

"Quartersnatcher" (another friend) has used a different bore treatment with some of his long-range rifles. In a private conversation, he reported no problems, & maybe some success. You could make a post to quartersnatcher on the long range forum & ask. I don't think he'd mind my posting his name, but that's still his business. (Lynn's name was on the PS article.)

So I don't *know* anything, except the report of a friend that I trust. Try it if you like, just be prepared for an outcome that might go either way, as there have been some negative results, and those in were in print rather than on the rumor circuit.

J Tech or jtex

forget about asking stik he doesn't know"
Neither did tom jansen his buddy"

If I remember correctly, the J-Tex process involves submerging the part in some sort of chemical and electric current is involved. Evidently, steel parts that have been machined normally have disturbed grain boundaries at the surface that make them wear faster and have a higher coefficient of friction. The process is supposed to normalize the grain boundaries to a depth of several thousandths, decreasing wear, and reducing friction. I have seen detailed information (from J-Tex) that was impressive. What I cannot tell you is whether the reduction in friction is a good thing for short range Benchrest accuracy. It may be that the short bullets that we use do not furnish sufficient resistance to load the system, as the powder burns, without a minimal amount of barrel friction. If that friction is reduced below what is needed, the consistency of internal ballistics might suffer. On the other hand, longer bullets my provide enough resistance, possibly because of their greater bearing area, and /or inertia, so that differences in barrel friction become less important. This is pure conjecture.

Jtex

The bore treatment is not supposed to make it more accurate, accuracy is achieved by knowledge and time spent on the bench, unless your just lucky and happen to get a hummer. The JTex treatment is supposed to give the bore a longer round count life and if you get a hummer well thats 2 birds with 1 stone.
According to Speedy he had borescoped barrels with JTex and without JTex with approximately the same round count and reported the Jtex bores had considerably less ware.
As far as some other persons mentioned previously is concerned, they were present when numerous builds were purchased supposedly having been JTexed or maybe this whole JTex thing was a bunch of $125.00 per barrel HOOPLAH.
I guess it all depends on how much " faith" one wants to put into his trusted gunsmith.

I was not talking about making a barrel more accurate, but whether accuracy might be degraded, as it apparently was in the PS article. I guess someone needs to take their best short range Benchrest barrel, of proven accuracy, have it treated, and report back.

This all reminds me of the cryo splash. While most reports of finished barrels that were treated were not dramatic as to change in accuracy, one that I do remember was told to me by a hall of fame shooter that was beguiled into having three finished barrels treated. One of those, a Chanlyn (sp?) went from ones to threes. There are worse things than having a good barrel wear out.

I have had Quartersnatcher do 3 barrels for me. The treatment is called Melonite. I have only shot one enough to evaluate it. After 3300 rounds, it will still agg in the high ones. The throat has no erosion. No alligator also. It does have some very very tiny spots showing up. Ed Shilen and Bill Hull both borescoped it with 3000 rounds on it and can verify it.
One barrel doesn't tell anything. Oh, by the way the barrel looks to be a chromoly barrel.
I think that Melonited is kinda like a low temp case hardening. You can do a search and read about it.
Butch

Melonite QPQ, "not suitable for stainless steel applications" so which of the three process did you use?

Big Al, you would have to ask Quartersnatcher about the process. Glenn, you didn't see that big black barrel on my sporter?
Butch

Jtex

If one was going to have a bore treatment done .at what point of the build would you do it ? Treat then thread, chamber, and polish or thread,chamber, treat then polish? Or what???

Is Jtex still in business? I've tried calling several times and never get an answer or macine.

Back