Is this brass any good for reloading?

Hi all:

I have 1800 rounds of LC 93 once fired brass. This brass was all fired in a M40 Remington sniper rifle.

I have been told, that if brass has been fired in another chamber, it will never be any good for benchresrt use. Is there any truth to this?

I do not have a .308 rifle but I do have an extra Remington 700 action and a new Shilen 30 caliber barrel sitting around doing nothing so I could make up a .308 just for laughs. I neeed another rifle like I need a STS! Lol

Any suggestions as to what I can do with this brass?

Tia,

Zeke

I wouldn't discount it

Surely some of it is worth something - maybe all of it. Be certain it's once fired.

Does it say Match on the headstamp? Does it have a cannalure about .25 of an inch from the rim? If so its lake city match brass. Its good brass in terms of it lasts a long time, is thick, and is not crimped.
If its just lc 93, then its more than likely just ball brass. Now heres the thing, the only difference between lake city match and ball brass is the canalure, the word match, and the primer crimp. Its not specially selected or have closer tolerances. Its the same.
Now is lake city brass benchrest quality? no, especially the brass from the 90's. It will have off center flash holes and a fairly broad weight variance. If you sorted it be prepared to cull about 25 -50 percent for off center flash holes, I dont mean .001 out either, you will see it with the naked eye. YOu will more than likely break a decapping pin or two as well. I would not build a bolt gun or benchrest gun just because I had a bunch of lake city brass, lapua brass, possibly. I would, however buy a National Match M1a and load me some 175's and 150gr and shoot some service rifle matches with it. It hold up fairly well in semi auto guns compared to commercial brass and the weight variance and off center flash holes dont make that much of a difference in a 1.5 moa rifle semi auto anyway.

Why I think that this brass is the real deal.

Hi Again:

More info on the brass:

It was picked up on the range as it was fired by a group of snipers at a U,S military base That was named Camp xxxxxx.

The guns were all the military version of the Remington 700.

The person who picked up the brass had permission from his CO to do so. This person is a close family member! It has not been stolen or bought.

The brass is headstamped LC 93 MATCH and it has the cannalure about .250" above the rim. This is in the form of a straight knurl.

The primers are NOT crimped.

The brass is clean.

I hope that this helps,

Zeke

You would be hard pressed to find any one shooting a 308 in Benchrest. That includes point blank, (100-300 yards) mid range,(600 yards.) and long rage. (1000 yards.) The 308 is just not a Benchrest quality round. Moving onto your brass, many people like Lake City brass which is what the LC stands for, the number is the year it was made. The brass is still military surpluses grad brass, even though it would be the higher end of such, it is still not the quality of Lapua, Norma, or Nosler precision made brass. Yes it is desirable for people that like to plink, or shoot from a bench, and it has some value. Of course all brass has some value right now, as brass scrap prices are up. Just because it was fired in a another chamber doesn't mean that it is ruined, or that it has lost any of it accuracy potential. Now with that said it is not Benchrest quality, and it is because of the caliber designation and make, it never was and never will be.

I had read that US Marine Scout Snipers sent their brass back to Quantico for reload.
But, if it really bothers you. Just send it to me. I will gladly take it.....

lol and i thought the 600 small group was set with a 308 a few years back ...may not be current , but was more than "competitive".

sort and resort

There was a 600 yard small group record set (0.404" 5-shot group) with a 308 Win in 2008 by John Lewis. It was set in the IBS HG class but it was shot with 155 grain Lapua Sinar bullets in 308 Lapua brass and in a Hart 1.5" diameter rail gun barrel that I had pressed the barrel block off of for the guy John bought it from. That barrel was chambered by the late Bill Miniman founder of MTM Molded Products with what was considered at the time to be "the" 308 reamer design for benchrest.

I know all about that record since another guy and I were witnessing and pulling the target at the Oak Ridge Tennessee range. It was certainly not the average 308 setup and most definitely not an average rifle assembly. It is still the current IBS HG 600 yard record.

Like I said "You would be hard pressed to find any one shooting a 308 in Benchrest. That includes point blank, (100-300 yards) mid range,(600 yards.) and long rage. (1000 yards.) The 308 is just not a Benchrest quality round." What you have stated is an exception, and is not the norm, nor is it likely to happen again.

A 308 can be extremely accurate. anyone who thinks not is simply misinformed.
I shoot a lot of lake city brass. Not for benchrest though. Not that it wouldn't work, there simply is better choices. If your needing brass for benchrest shooting, sell the LC "if your allowed to" and buy some Lapua or Norma. that's my 2cents. Lee

Back