Is a fast twist more incline to shorter BBL life

Worker

Ok 22-250 AI with Rock Creek SS 5R 8" twist BBL will this BBL burn out sooner than a slower twist BBL? I'm shooting mostly hot loads with 65gr+ bullets?:confused:

I think barrel wear has more to do with the case capacity and the shooting habits than the twist of the rifling..

Hot loads will wear out a barrel faster than milder loads, and firing rapidly with even warmish loads doesn't help either.

More than one a minute would be my guess would be pretty fast. My brother burned out a .22-250 barrel in a 700V that had a single shot adapter in it. He could fire that thing faster than I could believe.

AR-15 .......Stopped counting at 12,000 rounds...

I know this is a bit off topic from this thread, but I still have my AR-15 Colt HBAR that I bought brand new in 1987 or 88...It has been fed a steady diet of Georgia Arms reloads (55 gr. USGI duplicate load).....and I stopped counting at 12,000 rounds...probably has more like 14,000 down the tube, total...
Never rebarreled it, and the bore still shines like a mirror....I'm sure the throat erosion is probably off the charts, but the rifle still puts every round in a 3" black bull at 100 yds.

I'm very over-the-top about cleaning my guns, and have NEVER put one away "dirty"...so maybe the constant cleaning helped?

Back