Insert Question

HiWall

I purchased a Circle Machine Co. boring bar FCBI-250-4-5R and I'd like to know if there are any HSS inserts that would fit this and would be good for pre-boring chambers. I know I can use the carbide inserts TDAB but if I'm boring at slow speeds I may be better suited with HSS inserts (I talked with the girl at Arthur Warners and she did not carry this insert and could not recommend others). I'd also like to know what the model number and where I can get the screw that attaches these inserts to the bar. Thanks!

Any particular reason to bore at slow speed? I use the Circle Industries 1/4" boring bar or Hertel or Kennametal replacement with the triangle carbide inserts and bore at about 1200 rpm when pre-boring chambers.

I purchased a Circle Machine Co. boring bar FCBI-250-4-5R and I'd like to know if there are any HSS inserts that would fit this and would be good for pre-boring chambers. I know I can use the carbide inserts TDAB but if I'm boring at slow speeds I may be better suited with HSS inserts (I talked with the girl at Arthur Warners and she did not carry this insert and could not recommend others). I'd also like to know what the model number and where I can get the screw that attaches these inserts to the bar. Thanks!

TS3 - Carbide Depot

Last edited:
Any particular reason to bore at slow speed? I use the Circle Industries 1/4" boring bar or Hertel or Kennametal replacement with the triangle carbide inserts and bore at about 1200 rpm when pre-boring chambers.

My lathe is a SB Heavy 10". I therefore am limited in my highest speed.

I think the part number at Carbide Depot is: TS-3 or Tool-Flo TF 9HTS3 - 2-56 x 1/8"

I just noticed that this part is sold in pack of 10 only. Not sure if the TS3 Mitsubishi MIT 108737 part is the same part which is $2.14 and sold as QTY 1. Would anyone know if this screw would fit the Circle Co. FCBI-250-4-5R boring bar? Thanks!

Carbide will work fine at less than optimum speeds. You’re going to be shoving a reamer in after it so surface finish isn’t critical. I wouldn’t sweat it on a manual machine. Get what you can easily get. Ideally, you’d pick your insert then by the holder/bar that fits it.

Back