Indoor Range Possibility, in Griffin, GA: Any interest and help needed

R

Rob B

Hello all, I'm afraid I've been absent from the game for longer than intended due to some chronic health problems, but I think I have something that may be of interest to shooters in or near Georgia.

Before I forget to put it in, here's one link to the place I'm about to discuss:

Ole Mill Range

This is the 4H range where I take my daughter, and over the past 3 years progress on the facility has been impressive, given the limited resources available in both money and volunteer time. If you look at the blueprint in the link, it shows the range pretty much in it's present state, with some work remaining to be done on the 50 foot smallbore line, and the 50 meter line is one of the last major hurdles that is being worked on now. Construction is coming along, but as we do it as help is available, I cannot give a date certain on the completion of the 50 meter range.

I've discussed the possibility for several years of opening the range to benchrest shooters, either for scheduled practice days/ammo testing or actual matches. This past weekend, since the end is beginning to be in sight of the part of the range that would interest people on this forum, I had another talk with Roy McClain, who is responsible in large part for making this whole thing happen and is a driving force in the program.

He is still very receptive to other disciplines making use of the range, as long as it is not in conflict with scheduled events. As we talked about what would be needed to make the place agreeable to the rimfire benchrest crowd, we hit upon several key issues:

1) Benches have to be moveable. I think I have a design that will work fine, with steel structure and concrete tops. But the materials have to come from somewhere, and somebody will have to build the things.

2) Help will be needed to make this happen. Roy is requesting labor to help finish the 50 meter traps, but as many who may be interested aren't within easy "show up for half of a Saturday" distance, alternative suggestions are welcome at this point.

3) The main function of the range is to train shooters to prepare them for collegiate and international competition, beginning with BB gun competition and moving up through sporter and precision airgun, and smallbore. This means there is no "slush fund" or anything to set up a benchrest program just because I think it's neat. Again, the facility is receptive, but it can't be a losing proposition for them.

OK, here's the part where you really need to pay attention. Roy requested that I gather interested shooters for a visit where anyone that's interested could see the facilities and offer suggestions as to what is needed to make it a useful place for benchrest. I think this is a very good idea, and is the main point of this post. Thus, I would like to hear about general interest in using this facility, and specifically would like to hear about who is willing to come take a look and see about setting a date that is as accommodating as possible. Topics that would be covered in such a meeting would be: range suitability, bench design, fees agreeable to all, and everything else I'm forgetting.

FWIW, our next large match is set for Friday, November 28 & Saturday, November 29. I will be in attendance all day Saturday since my daughter is competing in two disciplines that day should anyone want to stop by then. I could also be available during the Friday afternoon events if someone was in the area that day, though at this point I'm not scheduled to be there.

So, there it is. Let me know what y'all think of the whole idea, and we'll see how it works out. And BTW, if anyone does come looking for me on that Saturday, I look a bit different now. I tried that flat top haircut like Deese, but decided it was just too scruffy and shaved it all off.

Thanks,
Rob Black

The Air Gun BR crowd would definitely be interested depending on the details; match fees, availability, etc.

I own a 110v mig welder, small metal bandsaw, grinders, etc and would be willing to help with the design and fabrication of the benches.

Ray

Rob,
The one big problem I see is that to use 50M the rest of the range would have to be closed. I doubt that would work except on the rare occasion.
Just a Thought.
(Move it to Savannah & I would live there)

Have you explored the possibility of getting an NRA grant?

Ray: Thanks. I forgot about the AGBR crowd, even though I'm very interested in that myself.

Doug: True, but currently the range is used Thursday & Friday nights for practice. Saturdays are work & practice days, but this is overridden for scheduled events. If you look at the schedule of events, there is a lot of time matches aren't happening. Nothing ever seems scheduled on Sunday, but I don't know why.

Rod: I'll be happy to call, probably about 9:00 pm tonight when my free minutes kick in. If that is too late, I'll call tomorrow.

Ken: The range gets every NRA grant it can from what I understand. The range is actually a separate entity from 4H to make it more flexible in what it can do. I stay out of the political and administrative side as much as possible due to my health problems, so I may not be stating everything correctly. I lift and tote when needed, play gunsmith and help with coaching where I can. Whether more grants are available for more disciplines, I don't know, but I'll be sure and bring that question up.

I'm just trying to act as a facilitator to bring people together in a facility that may be useful, and get input on what would make the place useful for others.

Again, I would encourage anyone who can to visit the place. It's looks better in person than the pictures show.

I'll post a quick thread in the AGBR forum linking to this one, since that was an obvious oversight on my part. Also,I'll be sending a link to this discussion to Roy McClain, so he can help me correct whatever I've got wrong.

Thanks for the comments,

Rob

Rob -

Good to hear that the range is progressing. Last I heard, smallbore matches would be held this winter. Don't know if that's happening or not. There are a number of us in the Atlanta area interested in participating, primarily for prone, but would like to support the range any way we can. Haven't had any new information lately. Do you have any information on match schedules? More specific info on status of 50 M range? How many firing points are planned? We're ready to come down and be involved.

Dennis Lindenbaum

Dennis, smallbore is definitely part of the plans, but as I've said before, I don't know when the 50m line will officially go into service. And thus no match schedules I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean I know everything. I'll find out some more and post some updates as they become available. I may go over tomorrow and check a few things in person.

Glad to hear of the interest,
Rob

Ole Mill Range Questions?

If you have specific Questions, please email me at EODTNT1@aol.com and I'll get back to you asap. Short questions can be handled on the phone (404) 227-2272 cell, but lets keep these to a min where possible. I'll try to get some stuff up on this site, but You can browse to your hearts content at OleMillRange.org

Thanks,

Roy McClain
Spalding Co Shooting Sports

22 Dec 08 Ole Mill 50m Range workday

From the 22 Dec 08 workday on the 50meter Range...

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 178
More Range photos

50meter, 10points

Rob Black being "reeative" with a jigsaw...

5meter / 10meter Range... 37 points - 5ea 10meter Air Pistol points

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 170
More Ole Mill Range Photos