Improved ignition.....

obx22

*sigh*
How do you "know" you've got it good vs bad?
Sure, I can see if the pin strikes are similar in shape, location, and depth, but what else do you look for?
Take care,
warren

Calfee suggests imprint "should not" extend fully out to the rim OD.

Grease Free

Make sure your FP is grease free. A lot of lubricants can slow the FP down and even though the hit looks good and deep, it might not be hitting with enough force, to give you consistant ignition.

It is not how much force the firing pin has, but how fast it hits. You can have a deep indent made by a slow firing pin and the case not go off.

Last edited by a moderator:
How fast should the firing pin be going when it hits the rim? And how do you measure how fast it is. That's interesting.

Think about striking a match...

Slow with heavy pressure does not light as quickly as light pressure and a quick strike.

At least, this is how it was explained to me, and it does make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a notion for sure. Turbo's and 40X's are two of the most dominate winners in rimfire BR and neither of them have a fast lock time, actually they're quite slow, but they produce excellent repeatable ignition due to the momentem of the firing pin assembly's weight. Wonder why they work better than the fast, light/quick system?

A Hall shooter has won the last two RBA nationals, one indoor, one outdoor.

Kent,

If Allan reads your comment he is gonna pass out. !:eek: I vote for the non-modified ingition of the Hall 1st, the factory Anschutz match 54 action 2nd. I have a Turbo to sell if anyone is interested. :D

Kent,
I've been experimenting with a hammer fired action, and have noted better accuracy from the heavy (and I thought slower) hammer, with no other changes. Hammers were switched back and forth while modifing engagement surfaces, but still the heavy one grouped considerably better.
This makes me wonder if its a contributing accuracy factor with the CZ 452 rifles (Now thats a firing pin!)
I suppose ya'll are making sense, I mean, you can crush a rimfire round in a vise without it going bang, but is there a "best ratio" of striker force/speed?
Take care,
warren

Allan don't pay any attention to me Steve:D Besides, I didn't mention any action names. I have a Hall sporter, and it's a very good one.
There's a guy on the classifieds wanting to buy a Turbo, give him a call and you'll sell yours fast!

Fast and light may work very well when everything is clean, but when things get dirty, after several rounds, I'll go with the somewhat slower, but heavier system. The proof may be measured by chronograph, but I haven't tried.

I think firing pin shape and hit location are much more important than speed. Lock time is much more of an issue in position shooting than benchrest. Our rifles don't move much sitting on the bags.

An issue I had with my Annie 54 is that I got a vibration ping that drove me crazy. The rifle was in a very light/stiff stock that magnified the vibration, IMHO. Neither of my other rifles, a 52C and a 40X have that problem.

lock time

lock time would'nt mattter much using a one piece rest, would it ???

Slow hits

What most people don't realize is that the heavy firing pins are just barely going fast enough to set the case off. This is why you will sometimes see a case with a really deep firing pin hit, that all the experts would say looks wonderfull, but the cast didn't go off. You can put this same case in an Ans. or a Hall and it goes off every time becase of the faster hit.

What most people don't realize is that the heavy firing pins are just barely going fast enough to set the case off. This is why you will sometimes see a case with a really deep firing pin hit, that all the experts would say looks wonderfull, but the cast didn't go off. You can put this same case in an Ans. or a Hall and it goes off every time becase of the faster hit.

Sounds like you have spent some time talking to Allen Hall. I spent about 45 min talking to him at the ARA Winter Nationals and what he says is very convincing. He is not fond of folks modifying his action to get a deeper hit, thinking good ignition is judged solely by the amount of indentation.

Charlie

Bang

I just want mine to go Bang every time. It quit doing that on my Hall last month, and I changed the FP Spring and cleaned the Grease out of the bolt body, and it now goes Bang every time.

I just want mine to go Bang every time. It quit doing that on my Hall last month, and I changed the FP Spring and cleaned the Grease out of the bolt body, and it now goes Bang every time.

Me too, same thing happened to my Turbo recently. I put a 0.060” washer under the spring. The indentation is now about as deep as a small meteorite impact BUT the rifle is shooting the best it has ever done.

Brian

ben there,
You sound like you know what you're talking about. How many Hall actioned rifles ahve you built and how do they shoot, what kind of scores? I like mine.

Back