Impossible ?

N

nitro72

So being new to shooting long range, is there a formula for shooting at close distance , say 200 yards to get my rifle on paper at 1000?

I am going out west to shoot with a friend at long range and I dont have a safe place to shoot 1000 to practice. And I dont want to send 100 rounds to get on paper.

Rifle is a 6.5x.284 , Krieger #17 with 1-8.5 twist, xr 100 action , hs precision bench rest stock, weaver t-36 scope

Load 47.5 g h4350 with 140g hornady sst boat tail

Any advice would be great!
Thanks

Using a Ballistic Program will get you close. Here is a link to JBM's free online Trajectory Simplified version:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.1.cgi
Having accurate chronograph data (velocity) for your load and rifle will make ballistic program solutions very accurate.

While the SST bullets do have a high BC that is good for LR, they do not have a very long boat-tail like most the match bullets you will see most 1000-BR shooters using. The Hornady AMax and Match bullets would be a much better choice from Hornady's lines of bullets for 1000yd targeting.

Not knowing your velocity I can not say what will get you close for sure, but if your velocity is around 2800-fps it should take around 30-MOA up from a 100yd Zero.
With that said, basically if you were to have your rifle shooting 30 to 31" high at 100yds, you should be close at 1000yds (if your actual velocity is near 2800-fps).

Good Luck and have Fun !!!!
Donovan Moran

Last edited:
i have to have my 300 win mag aprox 25" hi at 100 to be on at 1000....that is a 208 amax doing 2950.and at 200 yds its about 50-52"
so it looks like if you are between these two you should be on paper...( morans and mine)
the real clue as pointed out is accurate velocity data.
have fun
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
If all else fails, when you get there, pick an aiming point and fire a shot. Observe the impact. Aim at the original aiming point and without moving the rifle, crank the crosshairs to the point of impact. One shot and you're on paper.

Yes, just go to the Google play store and do a search on it, base version is free, pay version has some extra perks like a variable power slider when in the reticle view, which is kind of nice if you have a reticle with has marks as it will tell you what distances those will be the zero for that bullet/speed/condition setting.

If you're reading this from an Android device, you can probably go here and get it also;

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=strelok

If all else fails, when you get there, pick an aiming point and fire a shot. Observe the impact. Aim at the original aiming point and without moving the rifle, crank the crosshairs to the point of impact. One shot and you're on paper.

Right again My friend ! There's always a better way, and this seems to be the simplist

Back