I need a front bag for my Cowan rest

GSRswapandslow

I have a cowan rest that I'm needing to get a 3" bag for. I have a few of the owl ear bags for my sporter rifles...but none of the bags seems to fit in the top that well. They're too wide and too long, alebit close, but it's enough to put a crease in the bag from being squished. I like protector bags...that's all i've used, but I need something that will fit this rest top perfectly as I'm trying my best to completely switch from bipod's to a rest now.

I have a Cowan rest that I'm needing to get a 3" bag for. I have a few of the owl ear bags for my sporter rifles...but none of the bags seems to fit in the top that well. They're too wide and too long, alebit close, but it's enough to put a crease in the bag from being squished. I like protector bags...that's all i've used, but I need something that will fit this rest top perfectly as I'm trying my best to completely switch from bipod's to a rest now.

If you're using a rifle with a 3" wide forearm you need a 3" bag for the 3" wide Cowan Rest. It was designed to accommodate 3" wide Benchrest rifles.

I have used both Protektor and Edgewood 3" front bags in my former Cowan Rest and they have worked fine. I've since moved to the John Loh rest.

Make sure that the Protektor leather flaps that hang down http://webpm.fatcow.com/ProtektorModel/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=261 clear the bottom of the metal brackets front and back.

You'll get a nice tight fit if you pull them down as you're tightening the bracket screws. Apply equal pressure on both sides so the bag stays centered.

Also, by making sure the bag is filled sufficiently with sand to make it good and firm [not hard], you'll fill up the space allotted for the bag. The side petal flaps should be adjusted tight enough to prevent even the slightest bit of horizontal movement of the rifle. .001" movement of the rifle at the bench can equate to 1/4" movement of the bullet on the target at 100 yards. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
as I said...i currently have several protektor bags...and none are fitting as they should in my top. They're bunched up and too wide. These are standard owl ear bags.....

as I said...i currently have several protektor bags...and none are fitting as they should in my top. They're bunched up and too wide. These are standard owl ear bags.....

In the absence of a picture of the problem:

Call Protektor: 814-435-2442. Ask for David Hurlbert, the Manager. Tell David what your problem is, give him some dimensions, and he'll produce a custom bag for your needs. I have three Protektor Owl bags for different width forearms. They all fit my Cowan rest perfectly.

Maybe Joe Cowan changed the dimensions on the front rest. As Francis suggested give him a call. Here's the number for the Greater Altoona Career and Technical Center 814-946-8450. And Joe's number in Precision Machining, 814-505-1235. Good Luck!

Back