I have a question for the owners of Rockwell 11 inch lathes ...

AeroE

Is the reduction drive difficult to disconnect in order to separate the bed and head assembly from the base for moving in a pickup?

Is there anything remarkable about separating the bed and cabinet after the redrive is disconnected?

What is the width of the cabinet at the floor?

What is the maximum width of the bed, head, and cross feed apron?

Thanks, and I know that is four questions. Pretend I ran them together into one longe sentence without punctuation if my miscount is disconcerting. :cool:

I did not disassemble mine to move it in the back of my pickup. I built a box around it and wrapped it in plastic. Four of us handled it easily. 1000 mile move. Rope around it and tied down so it would not tip...

I have one of these new fangled pickups without stake holes in the bed and only two tie down rings near the tail gate. I considered installing a pallet to set the lathe on, then tieing the lathe to the pallet. That will work as long as I don't hit a big pothole. But the trip is 600 miles ...

Bolting it to 4 x 4's across the width of the truck bed should make it stable enough.

The two drive belts are easy to remove if you want to take the lathe bed off the cabinet. If the belts are old just cut them off and replace later.

Remove the drive belts, four bolts and the bed will lift off the cabinet.

Cabinets dims 66"Wx19"Dx30"H add 5" to D for speed change lever on front left side of cabinet.

Lathe dims 66"Wx24"D(w/taper attach)19"D(wo/taper attach)x19"H

When I moved mine I did as Dennis suggested. There are 4 tabs on the base of the cabinet for leveling feet or bolting it down, you can lag bolt 4x4's across the bottom of the cabinet to these tabs to stabilize it. I strapped it to the truck bed and it didn't move much that I could tell. I hauled it much further than 600 miles too.

Last edited:
Back