hunting rifle trigger, jewell($239) vs shilen($100)???

D

david dumas

I know and use Jewell in both hunting and benchrest guns but had a friend ask about installing a shilen trigger in his 700 huntiing rifle, told him I'd never used one. BUT knew lots of friends on here who had, we're not worried about the install, just the function/useabilty/safety in a hunting rifle adjusted to 2-2 1/2 lbs. I guess it comes down to 2 lever vs 3 lever??

Thanks

DD

The Shilen will be fine. I have several, they are very good triggers.

I have both. The Shilen is a good trigger but really no better than a tuned M-700 trigger. The Jewell is in a league all its own. I guess it depends on what you want. For a short range tree stand rifle, the Shilen is fine, but if long distance shooting is involved............well every little bit helps.

trigger

DAVID- I have both . with respect to the JEWEL trigger . it is defintely well made. i like the feel of the shilen. it will adjust safely lower than a remington.

just the function/useabilty/safety in a hunting rifle adjusted to 2-2 1/2 lbs.

Seems like the factory trigger could be adjusted for that kind of pull weight? I have a few Jewells in my 700s but wanted a trigger in the 2 -4 oz range.

Factory Rem 700 Triggers

Seems like the factory trigger could be adjusted for that kind of pull weight?

No experience with the newer REmmy trigger, but I have had a dozen of the prior models. Some will adjust to 2 1/2 lbs and pass a bump test and some wouldn't go below 3 1/2. For any hunting rifle I do a 12" drop to ground and set if it drops the sear. The Shilen will stay good all the way down to 1 lb range. I've got a couple of Shilen's. Great hunting trigger. The Jewel hunting trigger is also great, but it is 3x as much as the Shilen. I'd rather spend that extra $100 in a better scope.

IMHO, tiny

Spend $30 or $40 and have the 700 trigger adjusted to 2.5 pounds and save a bunch...

Jewell vs. Shilen

You asked about a trigger for a hunting rifle, so here's my take. I use Jewell triggers on my match grade varmint rigs. The triggers are set at 4oz. or less. For hunting rifles, I prefer Rifle Basix or Shilen. Why is that?

1) You don't need a Cadillac like a Jewell on a hunting rifle.
2) The Jewell has a narrow trigger, which isn't the best when you have to shoot in cold weather with a pair of gloves. Rifle Basix and Shilen have wider triggers.
3) A Shilen or Rifle Basix will cost approx. 1/2 the price of a Jewell, adjust nicely down to 2 1/2 lbs., minimal creep, overtravel, etc.
Chino69

how low can the rifle basix trigger be adjusted and how do you do it? I have one, but it ccame on a rifle and I have no instructions. I have installed many jewell on my remmies, but never messed with a rifle basix are they easy to adjust down under a pound?

Rifle Basix and Shilen

I think the RB trigger can go down to 1.5lb. I am interested in the Shilen trigger for my 2008 700/SA project rifle. I want a 1.5lb trigger because that's what I'm used to.

I just saw the Shilen for $74 somewhere. Bruno's maybe. I have the RB triggers on my Models 70's and love them. The CS at Rifle Basix is great. I called and got the owner and he walked me through the whole process.

I vote for Timney triggers, I put one in a 700 and it performs much better than the stock trigger, tightened my groups right up also.:D

Plus it was >50$

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about a Canjar single set trigger? I have one and love it. It's like having 2 triggers in one. It is adjustable from 2 to 4 ounces set and from 1 to 3 pounds unset. :):):):)

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

I havv both also......

the Shilen hunting trigger is a much better trigger than a factory Rem trigger.

Jewel is a wonderful trigger, just more expensive.

my experience

a jewell is sweet. great for varmints and benchrest. that said i use timneys on hunting rifles and several varmint rigs. less cost and great function on rem 700, mausers, and springfields. no experience with shilen or rifle basix but would presume similar function and feel to the timney. in short i would recomend the shilen to your friend for his hunting rifle. unless he is a snivelling perfectionist, then make him pay the premium for the jewell as anything less he will get anal about. just my .02 Greg Moyer

Got both, along with timney, now have many more jewell. can't beat Jewell.

how low can the rifle basix trigger be adjusted and how do you do it? I have one, but it ccame on a rifle and I have no instructions. I have installed many jewell on my remmies, but never messed with a rifle basix are they easy to adjust down under a pound?

Find the allen wrenches that fit the adjusting screws, have them ready then call Basix and he will tell you how to adjust the trigger on the phone.

I picked up one of the new Timneys at the SHOT Show. "Show special" pricing was real nice but at retail, they are a good deal. They come with safety and bolt release which the Shilens do not.
A lot of folks get along fine with the Shilen 2 oz. triggers, also.

Back