HOWA action

Apollo

Jason Stanley
Anybody ever built around a HOWA 1500? Would I be better off saving up for a BAT or a Kelby? Again, thanks in advance.

Stanley

Last edited:
Depends on what you're building. The Howa is a great action, especially considering how low the price is but they are a different animal from a BAT of one of Kelbly's actions.

That's like asking which is the best plane, a crop duster or a F-22 Raptor?

This would be a benchrest rifle used in 100 & 200 yd group shooting, but want to get into score also. The reason I'm asking is - I found a Howa 1500 in a .22-250 for $450 with a bench stock already on it - would take some $ to put a new barrel and any other fixes a gunsmith would have to do. Or - I could just save and buy a 6 ppc with a BAT or Kelby action.

One thing to remember on the Howa action is that it has metric threads. Most people will charge more to fit a barrel with metric threads than one that has a 16 or 18 thread. If you are going to build a benchrest rifle, you would be better off to save up for a Kelbly or Bat. It will probably cost you at least $25 more every time you have the Howa rebarreled than what it would cost you to rebarrel a Kelbly or Bat and the Howa is no where near in the same league as either the Kelbly or Bat. For a hunting rifle or varmint rifle, the Howa would be fine, but I wouldn't expect to be competitive using it.

Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike - that was the info that I was looking for. Seems like the more research I do - the more options come available and without having much experience it is hard to know what will work and what won't for each purpose. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm going with a BAT.

Stanley

Back