How to shoot a 416 Rigby

Chism G

The Blanket is optional.

Untitled.jpg

Glenn

I have a Ruger #1-A in 45-70. With a 508 gr. hollow point and a max load it's brutal. So I can only imagine what a .416 Rigby would feel like especially when fired from a bench.

give it to someone you don't like and let them shoot it ???

I watched him sight in three 416 Rigby Rifles this morning. The recoil was sliding him a foot back from the bench after each shot. It was painful to watch. The blanket didn't seem to help much. Federal Premium ammo (400gr) bullet. $200.00 for a box of 20. $10.00 for each round he shot.

Glenn

Last edited:
well he probably getting ready for the texas cotton tail season...we know all things are bigger in texas....
(his guns or what ??? any idea why three ? i have a friend that is a SCI member and hunts around the world. i have seen him get ready for his hunts. ocassionally a big gun, but not three at one time.)

mike in co
I watched him sight in three 416 Rigby Rifles this morning. The recoil was sliding him a foot back from the bench after each shot. It was painful to watch. The blanket didn't seem to help much. Federal Premium ammo (400gr) bullet. $200.00 for a box of 20. $10.00 for each round he shot.

Glenn

Had the opportunity to see what might be the only .416 double rifle ever made shot maybe 40 years back. The extra weight didn't seem to help him much & the full patch did real damage to a 20 inch eucalyptus, particular on the departure side.

As with any rifle shooting from the bench will only get you close.

It must be shot from a "normal" field position to know where the bullet will impact.

If I needed to sight in this rifle it would be at 25 yards from the bench. A three shot group about the size of a quarter and dead on. All other shots need to be fired in the normal field position.

BTW detached retinas are possible. No BS!

Detached retinas are a real concern. I have a 450Ackley Magnum, a 458 Lott,a 45-70, and a soon to be finished 416 Rigby. We are having a big problem with squirrels on our property. I usually use my 9.3X62, but I'm getting worried.

butch,
no need for the 416, just learn to hit what you aim at...lol
i know those squirrels get big, maybe just a heavier bullet ??
in colorado we get away with 22 rimfire as ours are only half the size of the texas squirrels...

mike in co

Detached retinas are a real concern. I have a 450Ackley Magnum, a 458 Lott,a 45-70, and a soon to be finished 416 Rigby. We are having a big problem with squirrels on our property. I usually use my 9.3X62, but I'm getting worried.

(Q) Best way to test fire a 416 Rigby? :eek:

(A) Get someone else to do it. :cool:

Reminds me of the old saying, "I've enjoyed about all of this I can stand.":rolleyes:

I would be tempted to fire that the same way I have seen in British books-standing from a shooting rest .

Actually I would watch some one else shoot this caliber .......

Glenn:D

My answer to "How to shoot a 416 Rigby" is why would I want to!

I shot a 458 Winchester once, years ago. Once. After that my 30-06 felt like a 22LR. Never again.

Roy

Can you imagine those 19th century African hunters who used 2 bore rifles on big game? Eight ounce round balls or, heaven forbid, conical slugs that weighed a full pound.

Hello Butch,

I think I have a new box of 9.3 bullets. I used a few of them for a test that did not work out.

If you want them PM me and I will send them to you.

Octopus

Back